Crazy Idea - All Relievers?

Aristotelian

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Davey Johnson do that with the Mets? Put the guy in the outfield not the infield but I think it has been tried.
You could also get an ambidextrous pitcher. Pat Venditte, a switch-pitcher made his MLB debut yesterday. He pitched 2 scoreless innings, switching back between being a lefty and a righty. Perhaps more switch-pitchers will be developed in the future.

Are you serious? Baseball is the one sport where stats mean so much. You don't think it would be a big deal if by fluke some donkey middle relief type went 36-8 for a season?

That would be AWESOME. Really, that would be too great. I'd love it.

Actually, I've thought of this before, defining a bullpen role as the "winner". You'd bring him into only tie games, or games where you're down 1 or 2 runs, in the middle innings. He'd pitch 2-3 innings, and if you take the lead he comes out. He'd qualify for a ton of wins.

LOL. You have to be kidding! We might see more. I don't think it's like switch hitting where they take a fast RH batter and try to turn him into a SH. You aren't going to see teams draft pitchers and try to make them into switch pitchers.

There were three switch pitchers, or pitchers who very occasionally switch-pitched, in the 1880s when the level of play was far lower and probably more conducive to things like that. Then nobody did it again for 90 years. I've played the outfield in softball both lefty and righty to avoid throwing with an injury and it's weird and hard... my guess is that the number of people in the world who have the ability to pitch in the majors with both hands is essentially zero (or one for this very moment in time).

That would be AWESOME. Really, that would be too great. I'd love it.

Actually, I've thought of this before, defining a bullpen role as the "winner". You'd bring him into only tie games, or games where you're down 1 or 2 runs, in the middle innings. He'd pitch 2-3 innings, and if you take the lead he comes out. He'd qualify for a ton of wins.

Or a guy you bring in with a lead with 2 outs in the 5th. Let him get an out, replace him in the top of the 6th, and he could rack up 50 or more wins if the bullpen hangs on. Such a thing might show everyone how overrated Wins are. Or ar least I could break some records that way in OOTP. Move over, Old Hoss Radbourn, and make way for Brian "New Hoss" Matusz!

• 3 weeks later...

I think we would see a sharp rise in the number of FA starting pitchers refusing to sign with that club - especially at RP salaries - and an equally sharp rise in the number of FA pitchers who would add that team to their no-trade list if they could negotiate a no-trade clause in the first place.

OTOH the SP's who had no choice would bail on that team at the first opportunity with the benefit of less wear and tear on their arms, potentially adding to their value elsewhere.

I think the human element would sabotage that strategy before it could even begin.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No reason to keep trotting new guys out there until you find one who doesn't have his good stuff that day. Kind of like Armando Benitez blowing two 100 MPH fastballs past Marquis Grissom's 89 MPH bat, then inexplicably deciding to throw him an 89 MPH change up.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No reason to keep trotting new guys out there until you find one who doesn't have his good stuff that day. Kind of like Armando Benitez blowing two 100 MPH fastballs past Marquis Grissom's 89 MPH bat, then inexplicably deciding to throw him an 89 MPH change up.

Just like that.

I think we would see a sharp rise in the number of FA starting pitchers refusing to sign with that club - especially at RP salaries - and an equally sharp rise in the number of FA pitchers who would add that team to their no-trade list if they could negotiate a no-trade clause in the first place.

OTOH the SP's who had no choice would bail on that team at the first opportunity with the benefit of less wear and tear on their arms, potentially adding to their value elsewhere.

I think the human element would sabotage that strategy before it could even begin.

I think a team looking to transition to this model could try be targeting 1) college relievers with the intent of building them up to three inning arms; 2) veteran starters who don't have better options; and 3) failed starting prospects looking to reestablish value.

Agreed, you wouldn't be likely to get pitchers to agree to lower salaries and fewer innings if they have better options out there. I kind of like the idea of two or three highly durable starters and then plug the other three spots in the rotation with the long-armed bullpen approach

Rotation

SP01 (LR02 - LR02 available for 1IP)

SP02 (LR03 - LR06 available for 1IP)

LR01 - LR04

LR02 - LR05

LR03 - LR06

Bullpen each night

CL01 (high leverage)

CL02 (high leverage)

MR01

MR02

Rotation

SP01 (LR02 - LR02 available for 1IP)

SP02 (LR03 - LR06 available for 1IP)

LR01 - LR04

LR02 - LR05

LR03 - LR06

Bullpen each night

CL01 (high leverage)

CL02 (high leverage)

MR01

MR02

To use a computer programmer term, that's really elegant. 12 man staff.

Like you and Corn said tho, your team would be a pariah to any top notch starters.

I started a thread recently with a similar proposal. Just your 1 or 2 best starters with a bunch of 2-3 inning guys and your high leverage guys. Consensus seemed to be "interesting idea". The O's would seem like a good team to try this because of the bullpen strength.

Among other things, you would be able to play matchups throughout the game.

Archived