What's up with Attendance?

RoarFrom85

I think the issue is the internet. In the 90's it may have been worse, but we didn't have instant access to news every time someone was shot, or stabbed, or assaulted. Etc. In other words, people were ignorant to the fact that crime was going on right around them. Now, every little thing is captured on phones and immediately posted to everyone's phones, so people THINK its worse than what it actually is.

The '90's followed the '80's which were also a high crime era, they followed the '70's, which followed the riots in '68.

High crime was a fact of life then. It is a shock to the system now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're looking at a city of unrest, that's in the national news almost daily due to murder numbers it hasn't seen in 40 years, with a police force that's basically not policing at this time (and that is not a shot at the police).

I love the Orioles. I was at the game the night before the lockdown at the stadium. I would love to go back to some more games this season but even I'm a little weary.

I was thinking the riots might be a factor, but didn't they have a sellout against Tampa Bay on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago? Why did that game sell out and not a Yankees game?

It wasn't just that Friday that was packed, either.

That entire 3-game series vs. Tampa Bay was loaded that weekend.

3-GAME SET, vs. D-Rays (May 29th, 30th, 31st)

GAME 1:O 45,505 o(99.0%)

GAME 2:O 38,177 o(83.0%)

GAME 3:O 36,945 o(80.4%)

3-GAME TOTAL: OO) 120,627

3-GAME AVERAGE: o 40,209

It wasn't just that Friday that was packed, either.

That entire 3-game series vs. Tampa Bay was loaded that weekend.

3-GAME SET, vs. D-Rays (May 29th, 30th, 31st)

GAME 1:O 45,505 o(99.0%)

GAME 2:O 38,177 o(83.0%)

GAME 3:O 36,945 o(80.4%)

3-GAME TOTAL: OO) 120,627

3-GAME AVERAGE: o 40,209

The prime and elite prices could be a factor. The normal price on my season tickets in the lower box section are $29. Tonight's game is $56. A bit ridiculous and I think part of the reason we get overrun with opposing team's fans. They don't mind paying that price since those are the only games they are going to.

I've offered everyone I can find free tickets to use to the gnome game. No one will go because they say it's not safe.

That's pretty crazy. I've been to a slew of games this year and literally haven't given it a second thought. Although anytime you leave your house and go into a city there is some risk involved, this isn't Baghdad. Tell your friends to go to games and enjoy life.

That's pretty crazy. I've been to a slew of games this year and literally haven't given it a second thought. Although anytime you leave your house and go into a city there is some risk involved, this isn't Baghdad. Tell your friends to go to games and enjoy life.

Or grow old and sit in a chair and remember the Television shows.

I still maintain that this market is not ny, chi or la.

Nats being around hurts attendance. I have no dog in this fight I just think this area isn't for 2 baseball teams. Ravens/redskins is different animal because it's the nfl

I don't know if that's the reason or not. The Senators and O's

in the past. I wonder if attendance is down for every team.

MLB is just not as popular as it once was. IMO

To me, the safety and security thing is all about being properly informed. If you are ignorant of the location, frequency and severity of the crime happening in Bmore, you're going to just assume that the whole place is practically ablaze, and be terrified of the unknown. If, however, you take some time to read reports from local media, the ones that go into a little more detail than "high crime rates in Baltimore", you'll find that most of it happens: (1) at night, (2) away from OPACY (not even in the same neighborhood usually), and (3) not between random strangers, but people who know each other -- gang members, relatives, competitors.

Those who write it off out of ignorance are doing themselves and the Orioles a disservice. Baltimore isn't one unitary place with a binary violent/non-violent switch, where either all of Baltimore is violent or things are fine. There are lots of nuances to it. Information is available in greater quantity, accuracy and timeliness these days than it has ever been. Fans just need to go access that information, usually for free.

I'll be there this weekend, and I'm not going to behave any differently than I did before the riots.

To me, the safety and security thing is all about being properly informed.

I'll be there this weekend, and I'm not going to behave any differently than I did before the riots.

I am certainly not going to become an outside agitator.

Archived