If Tillman and Norris don't start pitching well, what will the O's do?

mdbdotcom

Last season, Tillman was a go-to guy and Norris the "bulldog." This year, they are more like a bad comedy team. Fortunately, Ubaldo is pitching pretty well, which picks up some of the slack.

The O's have a chance of making it to the playoffs with the rotation as is, but going deep in the playoffs seems a stretch.

If neither Tillman nor Norris has righted himself by mid-July, should the O's make a move for a starting pitcher?

Should they give Gausman, Wright, and Wilson more starting opportunities and a chance to win a job?

What do you think?

PS - What you thought they should have done during the off-season (and have already said 3,000 times) is irrelevant. Let's just deal with what is.

I would hope that Gausman comes up and pitches like a quality starter. If that happens, then I think we can just deal with the rotation as is and either move Norris to the pen or find a small trade to try to get something for him.

If Gausman sucks, then I think you look to make a move for a decent starting pitcher. We aren't trading for Hamels.

Gausman is definitely coming into the rotation when healthy. I think either Tillman or Norris (hopefully both) will settle back to the "norm" and if one doesn't, they can go to the pen or be trade fodder.

First of all, let me say that I have some confidence that Tillman and Norris will right the ship to a sufficient extent that the O's won't have to replace them in the rotation. For all the handwringing, the O's have won every game those two have started in June (Tillman is 3-0, while Norris is 1-0 with one ND). They haven't been great in June, but they have been better than they were earlier in the season.

Second, I'm against trading for another starter unless it's for a true game-changer. I don't want the 2015 equivalent of 2013 Feldman and Norris. Those moves made some sense at the time because our rotation had been just abysmal and the guys we were relying on had no track record of success or were over the hill retreads. This is a more proven group and if we are going to try to upgrade via trade we need to go big or go home. I'd rather tinker with Gausman, Wright and Wilson than trade for some no. 3-4 starter type.

I honestly can't see a scenario where buck pulls bud or tilly from the rotation, he's loyal to a fault
Then what made Buck pull Ubaldo from the rotation last year? Ubaldo was not doing well and needed to be pulled. But was he any worse last year than Bud and/or Tilly are this year? You can't just keep sending a starter out there who can't get batters out.

Last season, Tillman was a go-to guy and Norris the "bulldog." This year, they are more like a bad comedy team. Fortunately, Ubaldo is pitching pretty well, which picks up some of the slack.

The O's have a chance of making it to the playoffs with the rotation as is, but going deep in the playoffs seems a stretch.

If neither Tillman nor Norris has righted himself by mid-July, should the O's make a move for a starting pitcher?

Should they give Gausman, Wright, and Wilson more starting opportunities and a chance to win a job?

What do you think?

PS - What you thought they should have done during the off-season (and have already said 3,000 times) is irrelevant. Let's just deal with what is.

I don't know. Hopefully they will pitch better.

Assuming AM isn't trading for the Phillies and they don't demand Gausman, I think you seriously take a look at Cole Hammels and trade Chen to offset. I think both Tillman and Norris will improve. They have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then what made Buck pull Ubaldo from the rotation last year? Ubaldo was not doing well and needed to be pulled. But was he any worse last year than Bud and/or Tilly are this year? You can't just keep sending a starter out there who can't get batters out.
I don't know. Hopefully they will pitch better.

They are pitching somewhat better, and as I pointed out above, the Orioles have won every game that those two have pitched in June. The other dynamic last year was that Buck had five guys pitching really well, including Gausman, who had a 2.45 ERA in June and early July before Ubaldo hurt his ankle and went on the DL. There was simply no room for him when he returned because everyone else was pitching so well.

What do you think?

Norris to the bullpen in the Tyler Wilson/TJ McFarland spot. Tillman stays as 5th starter unless he is completely horrible. Gonzo back in Norris' spot and KG up to the rotation in Wright's spot.

Unfortunately we won't see anything different with Tillman and Norris before the trade deadline. If they can keep us in the game 50% of the time we have a chance to make the playoffs. If not we're toast. I think we sink or swim with them because of $$$$.

Just looking at the projected matchups for each, it looks like Norris is going to have a much easier next few starts. Till the all star break

Norris- @Philly, @Bos, Tex, @CWS, Gnats

Tillman- @Tor, Clev, Tex, @Minn

Norris gets to face 3 out of the 5 worst offenses in baseball. While Tillman has to make a really tough start against the BJ's.

Archived