Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think I would. It's just simply too much risk for a medium sized club.

I could be talked into something with a lower yearly, like 8/160 after the arb years, or I could be talked into a shorter contract, such as 6/150. I imagine he'd be more amenable to the latter, since he'd still be in his early thirties and could get another substantial contract.

But in general I think committing roughly 1/4 to 1/5 of your payroll to one player is not a great idea. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and Angels can get away with 25 million a year contracts. I think it's a mistake to think we can.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I would. It's just simply too much risk for a medium sized club.

I could be talked into something with a lower yearly, like 8/160 after the arb years, or I could be talked into a shorter contract, such as 6/150. I imagine he'd be more amenable to the latter, since he'd still be in his early thirties and could get another substantial contract.

But in general I think committing roughly 1/4 to 1/5 of your payroll to one player is not a great idea. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and Angels can get away with 25 million a year contracts. I think it's a mistake to think we can.

My thought is (1) payrolls for a midmarket team will be a lot higher in 2019-26 than they are today, and (2) if we can't afford him, we can trade him.

My thought is (1) payrolls for a midmarket team will be a lot higher in 2019-26 than they are today, and (2) if we can't afford him, we can trade him.
We may have to cut back payroll pending MASN decision, we may not be producing enough from the farm system to be contenders and with hjs salary he won't bring back as much in value. I'd offer fewer years with a similar AAV or possibly an opt out.

He missed six games in 2013. But it's fair to wait until after the season. That's why I put that option in the poll. As to it being "ARod money," there has been a lot of salary inflation since ARod signed his deal.

I wanted to pay him in his rookie season! Yes for me, and I think that since both knees are now fixed that his injury risk isn't much higher than anyone elses.

I have a little more worry about his maturity and attitude than his injury risk. I think he's getting better there too though.

When I clicked I could only see "would you sign Manny for" and I knew right away I would say yes.

11/231 is very risky, but everything about him screams future Hall of Famer. We may even look back on that deal in 5-8 years and laugh at the bargain we got.

Yes to everything in this post.

I tapped, I talked, I conquered.

It's a hard one to swallow and it's an awful lot to give to one guy but I'd have to lean towards yes. He's the type of guy that you want to keep in Baltimore forever.
Why the brighter lights say he isn't much better than Kyle Seeger?

To sign him to that sort of contract I'd think requires >95% medical confidence that his knees should hold up throughout.

Otherwise we face another decade+ of losing, again.

Angelos never signs people w/past medical problems to rich contracts so...

Spending 231 million dollars is never a no brainer.

Assuming he continues playing well and gets through the rest of this season injury-free, I could see working out a 6-year deal with him for something in the range of 70-80 million. I think (maybe wrong) that would essentially "buy-out" his arbitration years and the first 3-years of his free-agent years. It would provide Manny with lifetime financial security and he might still be able to "cash-in" on a big time free-agent contract at age 28 or 29. Just sayin', Angelos ain't handing out any A-Rod or Stanton type contracts.

Assuming he continues playing well and gets through the rest of this season injury-free, I could see working out a 6-year deal with him for something in the range of 70-80 million. I think (maybe wrong) that would essentially "buy-out" his arbitration years and the first 3-years of his free-agent years. It would provide Manny with lifetime financial security and he might still be able to "cash-in" on a big time free-agent contract at age 28 or 29. Just sayin', Angelos ain't handing out any A-Rod or Stanton type contracts.

You aren't even close on a 6 year deal. It would be at least $100 million and could easily be $120 million. He could get 8/12/16 over his three arbitration years, he wouldn't give up his free agent years for less than 20 million a year.

A six year deal starts with Trout (6/144.5M) and goes down from there.

Archived