We are a sad, sad looking baseball team. Hope Dan has the feelers out on all our FAs.

BamaOsFan

I don't think they owe us anything but a chance to win. This team has enough talent to win, but the talent isn't performing to a high enough level. I don't think that's the FO's fault.

I would say that you are correct about J.J. Hardy, Bud Norris and Chris Tillman. The front office had every reason to think that they would be solid contributors this season, and they have been liabilities.

But I think Duquette can be blamed for vastly overrating the team's level of talent at corner outfield and DH going into the season. He let Cruz and Markakis go, which were defensible moves in isolation given the contracts involved, but then he didn't find quality replacements. He counted on Delmon Young, Steve Pearce and Travis Snider to repeat their 2014 performances, which were all well above their career norms. He counted on getting the Alejandro De Aza of the last few weeks of 2014, not the one who showed up the rest of 2014 and all of 2013.

He wound up with an unproductive gaggle of AAAA hitters, who would look even worse if not for Jimmy Paredes' strong showing against RHP. And I don't think you can say that this group (throwing in Reimold, Lough and Parmelee) is collectively underperforming. They are what they are.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ranger series was a real blow after the 18-5 run. The Rangers have been in free fall over the past month, with their only bright spot being the 3 of 4 they took from the Orioles. Ever since that series, the mojo and overall hitting approach has been very off kilter.

The Orioles' offense as constituted seems built for success only when everyone is on -- which is totally unrealistic in baseball, where 3 out of 10 is a good batting average, and therefore the likelihood of everyone being on at once is very low. This team lacks the basic competencies (patience... speed) to muddle through when they're not on.

All in all, very unlikely they get it turned around tonight vs David Price.

I just don't get why they are all on or all off at the same time. 2013 was like that, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And by the way..if Boston wins tonight they would be just 2 games away from overtaking us and we could be in last place by the weekend.We were in first place about 2 weeks ago.

That's the thing Roy. We WERE in first. In the midst of an 18-5 stretch. This team has shown they can just dominate the competition. They've also shown they can roll over and die too... I'm more willing to ride it out. Maybe dump a Parmalee or Norris. Try to pick up a few minor players. Shake it up a little and see where we end up.

I don't think we're going to get squat for the players we're all talking about trading. If they're not helping us, why is another team going to give up something good for them?

I would say that you are correct about J.J. Hardy, Bud Norris and Chris Tillman. The front office had every reason to think that they would be solid contributors this season, and they have been liabilities.

But I think Duquette can be blamed for vastly overrating the team's level of talent at corner outfield and DH going into the season. He let Cruz and Markakis go, which were defensible moves in isolation given the contracts involved, but then he didn't find quality replacements. He counted on Delmon Young, Steve Pearce and Travis Snider to repeat their 2014 performances, which were all well above their career norms. He counted on getting the Alejandro De Aza of the last few weeks of 2014, not the one who showed up the rest of 2014 and all of 2013.

He wound up with an unproductive gaggle of AAAA hitters, who would look even worse if not for Jimmy Paredes' strong showing against RHP. And I don't think you can say that this group (throwing in Reimold, Lough and Parmelee) is collectively underperforming. They are what they are.

I am the worst at lining up trades but I have to think Chen and Davis would bring back a couple prospects a little below Schoop's grade/a little above MWright level.

NEVER give up!

Yup. Plenty of good, compelling baseball will be played by the O's between now and the end of September. Whether it will be enough to go any farther remains to be be seen but I'm not particularly interested in watching a rebuilding team regardless. Fortunately giving up doesn't seem to be in DD's or Buck's DNA.

Yup. Plenty of good, compelling baseball will be played by the O's between now and the end of September. Whether it will be enough to go any farther remains to be be seen but I'm not particularly interested in watching a rebuilding team regardless. Fortunately giving up doesn't seem to be in DD's or Buck's DNA.

I don't want to watch it either, and it's not needed either. We have enough good young pieces in the majors and minors. Offer the big 4 QOs and take the picks. THAT'S the rebuild.Take their combined saved salary and sign a few decent FAs this offseason. New team, same basic core.

I don't want to watch it either, and it's not needed either. We have enough good young pieces in the majors and minors. Offer the big 4 QOs and take the picks. THAT'S the rebuild.Take their combined saved salary and sign a few decent FAs this offseason. New team, same basic core.

It's only going to be 3 QOs. Pearce, O'Day, Norris, etc. won't be offered QOs.

We have one of the weakest farm systems in baseball. Maybe the weakest when you factor in the injuries to Harvey and Bundy. If this team doesn't start playing better in the next week or so, Wieters, Chen, Davis and O'Day all need to be on the market.

It's a sellers market. We will likely receive more value than a comp pick for Wieters and Chen. Since O'Day won't be offered a QO, there will be no reason not to trade him.

We have one of the weakest farm systems in baseball. Maybe the weakest when you factor in the injuries to Harvey and Bundy. If this team doesn't start playing better in the next week or so, Wieters, Chen, Davis and O'Day all need to be on the market.

It's a sellers market. We will likely receive more value than a comp pick for Wieters and Chen. Since O'Day won't be offered a QO, there will be no reason not to trade him.

I worry that the front office may be tempted trade people for less value than a comp pick, just to get players who are already in the majors or ready for a shot. A low-upside guy who you can plug in at 1B or LF for a couple of seasons might be tough for DD to turn down, considering how hard it is for this organization to sign free agents at market prices.

I agree. I have a difficult time believing we won't get better value than a sandwich pick lottery ticket for players like Wieters, Davis, and Chen.

But the good we do have is what we need. Dariel Alvarez, Christian Walker. I don't know the minors that well but Chance Cisco? Gausman and much pitching. The holes we will have at the majors we can fill. Or like I said, the saved money we can use to hopefully get a bigger FA than we normally do.

I don't think they owe us anything but a chance to win. This team has enough talent to win, but the talent isn't performing to a high enough level. I don't think that's the FO's fault.

I didn't mean that in a negative way. I meant to say that I feel that they owe us a straightforward message - the kind you give to your customer base whenever major changes or shifts in business practices are coming.

I would like them to be honest about the team and let us know whether they plan on going for it in 2015 or committing to a rebuild to create long-term success.

Again, this half-way nonsense is unsustainable. The team's performance is all the evidence we need.

MSK

I didn't mean that in a negative way. I meant to say that I feel that they owe us a straightforward message - the kind you give to your customer base whenever major changes or shifts in business practices are coming.

I would like them to be honest about the team and let us know whether they plan on going for it in 2015 or committing to a rebuild to create long-term success.

Again, this half-way nonsense is unsustainable. The team's performance is all the evidence we need.

MSK

This is total nonsense. Any announcement they would make would be a self-serving PR announcement, just like 99% of the businesses out there that are worth more than $500 million.

What you call "this half-way nonsense" has little to do with the team's overall performance. Three of our five starters are in the crapper. Did you see that coming? Other players aren't hitting up to their career averages.

You try to turn every bit of adversity into a polemic about the front office. Absolutely nothing they could do (within reason) would satisfy you. Why don't you come clean for a change? You are a purveyor of dissatisfaction. I'm tired of your crap.

Archived