TT: If Duquette makes moves it should not be for rentals

Tony-OH

Dan Duquette is in an interesting place. Although the Yankees have surged, his team is not really out of it and it seems the team has under achieved so there is a reasonable expectation that this team could go on a run.

At the same time, he's got several players in their last year of their contracts and if he lets them walk for draft picks he'll need to hope his scouts can find better players than they have over the last few years since he has a farm system that will be ranked in the bottom of the league this off season.

The neutral ground is if he's going to make a run, then go after guys who have at least another year on their contracts. In other words, no rentals unless they come cheap.

Ben Zobrist is a pretty good player who could be available, but he's a rental. Billy Beane is not going to give him away but perhaps a Mike Wright could seal the deal. Justin Upton is interesting as well, but another rental and I'm not sure alone is a game changer for the Orioles though he would give them a much better left fielder than Snider/Lough/Reimold.

The guy I would target is Jay Bruce. Bruce has been steadily improving after a terrible start and a bad year, but he could be a guy who could have a big year in Camden Yards. His deal guarantees him about $19.5 million through the end of 2016. Bruce makes $12 million this year and $12.5 million next year, and has a $13-million option for 2017 with a $1 million buyout.

So what would it take to get him? Therein lies the problem. Even with the money he's owed, I have to imagine his value is still pretty high. Maybe Alvarez, Wright, and Bundy gets it done.

Either way, I'm still not convinced this team is going anywhere this season so I might shop Chen, Davis, Wieters, and O'day and see what I could get. If the right offer comes by that will give us young talent, I'd be willing to trade any of them, but at the same time, if I could get Bruce and or/Zobrist, I might give it a run!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy I would target is Jay Bruce. Bruce has been steadily improving after a terrible start and a bad year, but he could be a guy who could have a big year in Camden Yards. His deal guarantees him about $19.5 million through the end of 2016. Bruce makes $12 million this year and $12.5 million next year, and has a $13-million option for 2017 with a $1 million buyout.

You see who I have been wearing as an avatar. Could not agree more.

Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. Stand pat. Do nothing. Pour money into scouting/development and the minors. This team can't succeed on its current path but we might get lucky with what we have. I say trade nothing that can help us in the future and re-emphasize our development.

It looks like it's quickly becoming a buyers market especially if Detroit sells and the Rangers stand pat. There's going to be more players available than there are landing spots. There will be some really good players available come the 31st and it might not cost what you think. I'm all for trading for a guy like Bruce. I could see DD picking up two bats on the 31st. Seeing how August goes and maybe add on another bat, SP or reliever. Get to September and our 40 man roster will give us a huge boost. Bottom line is that we can add some rentals without giving up the farm on the 31st.

It looks like it's quickly becoming a buyers market especially if Detroit sells and the Rangers stand pat. There's going to be more players available than there are landing spots. There will be some really good players available come the 31st and it might not cost what you think. I'm all for trading for a guy like Bruce. I could see DD picking up two bats on the 31st. Seeing how August goes and maybe add on another bat, SP or reliever. Get to September and our 40 man roster will give us a huge boost. Bottom line is that we can add some rentals without giving up the farm on the 31st.

Great post and a great point. I'm fundamentally against rentals for prospects myself, but lets wait and see a few more days.

I want the better player - rental or not.

We may have something brewing in the second half if Tillman and Gausman are going to .... "man" up with Chen and carry this team. That would allow DD to focus on a bat or two. If one of these could be acquired for the price of a Mike Wright, I am good with that.

I fear DD is going to give up a major part of our future (Gausman, Sisco, Mancini, perhaps Bundy at a discount, draft picks) in his bullheadedness to move the major league roster forward. Maybe that stubbornness will pay off with a nice run in August/Sept for a playoff spot, but DD has given up a substantial amount of talent to try to supplement our core guys and I fear he is "in for a penny, in for a dollar".

We may have something brewing in the second half if Tillman and Gausman are going to .... "man" up with Chen and carry this team. That would allow DD to focus on a bat or two. If one of these could be acquired for the price of a Mike Wright, I am good with that.

I fear DD is going to give up a major part of our future (Gausman, Sisco, Mancini, perhaps Bundy at a discount, draft picks) in his bullheadedness to move the major league roster forward. Maybe that stubbornness will pay off with a nice run in August/Sept for a playoff spot, but DD has given up a substantial amount of talent to try to supplement our core guys and I fear he is "in for a penny, in for a dollar".

After watching the game tonight, it occurred to me: Orioles win, Yankees also win, Orioles still 7 games back. However, they are 3rd in the wild card race and there are two spots there. So the O's might not be able to win the division. However, they can compete for one of the wild card spots. I have a feeling that this is where they will be going. I don't see a complete fire sale, but they may trade one or more of their pending FAs for a bat that can help them in their quest for the wild card.

At any rate, it truly was a thrilling game.

I would be against trading KG, Manny or Schoop unless the return was to good to pass up and could benefit the team in 2016 and beyond.

I would not necessarily freak out if they traded someone like Hunter Harvey, Bundy, Sisco, Mancini, Alvarez etc so long as its not for a rental. Those deals are hard to pull off.

I think my head would explode if we trade KG and another prospect or two for Upton and Cashner or Ross. I'd rather stand pat, take my chances, keep KG and supplement the roster in the roster in the offseason.

Aren't the two bolded statements contradictory?

I am OK trading for a rental or two but it depends entirely on what we are giving up. As everyone knows, I was against the EdRod for Miller deal last year, but I was fine with the Delmonico for KRod deal the year before -- just a matter of my opinion of the two prospects.

CarGo hit two more HR's tonight. Looked like he hit a game winner in the 9th but Bryant hit a walk off for the Cubs. He has like 10 homers in his last 19 games. Don't know what they want but he is red hot.

Just looking at his splits.. he looks to be a player only vs. RHP at this point. He's hitting .162 vs LHP with only 4 RBIs. That should factor into his cost and should bring the price down.

I'm all for buying when we don't give up anything of value for something useful <--- That should basically be a disclaimer everyone should make.

Regardless, a 3 game win streak doesn't mean we should be buying. I think we could get some real nice pieces given the sellers' market that seems to exist. Chen to LA makes a lot of sense. Davis to Pirates/Mets/Cards. O"Day to nearly anyone. This team needs like 2 impact bats and a starters... I just don't see it. Maybe we start to set the world on fire, but I just don't see any indication that they're anything more than what they are. God, I hope they make me look the fool. I want to win and keep winning in the future.

Archived