Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

Don't forget Dexter Fowler. 29 y/o plus defender that gets on base. Better track record than Parra although his numbers are down a little bit this season. A nice buy low candidate where as Parra will be a buy high guy.

I didn't mention him because, according to MLBTR, next year will be his age 30 season.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Gerardo Parra sort of the new Carlos Gomez? Just maybe. He was already a useful player, but now the Orioles also found some upside. And they have a chance to sign Parra to an extension, if they want, and if they’re buying his improvement. The Brewers extended Gomez for three years and $24 million when he was fresh off his first strong offensive year. He only got better, and the deal looked like a bargain immediately.

Fangraphs.

The swap represents a departure from Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin's high asking price as the Brewers were said to be looking for multiple prospects for Parra in the days leading up to the Deadline. Instead, they settled on one higher-valued prospect, as Davies was on display in this year's Futures Game.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/139849178/brewers-trade-gerardo-parra-to-orioles

I'm not sure I believe the metrics in this case. He's 28 and a two time Gold Gliver. I'll watch him play before deciding if he's a below average defender.

In RF, his UZR is well above average. A guy who's played significant innings in CF should be more than adequate in RF.

IF the assumption is that we're not getting Davis back, that Wieters is walking, that Chen is walking, and even that Jones will not be resigned after his contract is up in 3 years, then I'm fine with this deal.

The O's are in win now mode. I accept that and as a fan, I'm happy about that. I love being in the race and I do think we have a shot at the playoffs.

If we were always in Win-Now mode though, I just don't get why we didn't sign Miller and/or Cruz and DFA Norris and DeAza and trade Hunter at the beginning of the season. There have been a lot of mis-steps. I don't think any organization is perfect and we certainly got many things right -- Jones' extension for example. But WTF! Our offseason was a terrible and it results in trades like this where we give up a future asset for a rental.

I feel like I'm crying over spilled milk. Again, this team has a real shot at the playoffs. The lineup looks good with Parra, assumes everyone stays healthy. We need the pitching to come through! Let's go O's!!

I'm not sure I believe the metrics in this case. He's 28 and a two time Gold Gliver. I'll watch him play before deciding if he's a below average defender.

I'm curious about his apparent fall off a cliff defensively. He was quite good two years ago, and UZR now thinks he's Pete Incavaglia.

I'm curious about his apparent fall off a cliff defensively. He was quite good two years ago, and UZR now thinks he's Pete Incavaglia.

Hes spread over 3 OF spots. Similar to DRS, it looks like CF (and LF) is punishing him pretty badly this year. Should be fine in RF.

Archived