Long Term Orioles Infield plans

Redskins Rick

I really wish the Orioles would have drafted Rendon instead of Bundy in 2011. They could have just let Hardy go after last year and had an infield of Rendon at 3B, Manny at short and Schoop at second. And with the money saved from the Hardy contract, they could go after a top bat this off-season to improve this offense. Oh well.

I really wish they would have drafted all players who turned out great instead of the players they did draft who so far haven't.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Hardy is no longer a good defensive shortstop he's no longer a major league regular. His bat won't support regular playing time at any other position. At least on a good team that doesn't want to carry a poor player.

Good point.

And at that point, we just bring up the 27 year old stashed away in AAA. :)

I've thought about this scenario as well, but think Schoop is just too good at 2nd, and with all the defensive shifts, 2B has a new job description, and Schoop is a great fit. When Hardy's contract is up, I'm sure Manny moves over, and think of what a double play combo that will be! Personally I think Schoop could become one of the all time Oriole greats at second base.

When Hardy is no longer a good defensive shortstop he's no longer a major league regular. His bat won't support regular playing time at any other position. At least on a good team that doesn't want to carry a poor player.

Is Hardy still a good defensive SS?

By range factor he is ranked 23 out of 25 SS's

Fields what he gets to, gets to less than all but 2 SS's in the majors

I really wish they would have drafted all players who turned out great instead of the players they did draft who so far haven't.

Rendon was considered the #1 or #2 player in the draft by most experts. Everybody thought he was going to be a stud. Teams just shied away from him because they were worried about his health. Of course the irony is that the Orioles ended up drafting a pitcher who's barely played the last three years due to injuries.

Rendon was considered the #1 or #2 player in the draft by most experts. Everybody thought he was going to be a stud. Teams just shied away from him because they were worried about his health. Of course the irony is that the Orioles ended up drafting a pitcher who's barely played the last three years due to injuries.

Thats because that is what happens, when you draft prospects.

Do you remember Ben McDonald? Prime number 1 pick, and while a decent pitcher, never lived up to the hype.

If his era was in today's game with the social media being the way it was, he would be crucified.

Essentially no one questioned the drafting of Bundy. He was a consensus top-of-the-draft pick. If the O's hadn't drafted him he would have immediately been drafted next.

Hardy is ranked second in UZR among shortstops. To me, it doesn't really matter. It's inexcusable for a player making $14 million a year to be playing the way he has on offense. I feel like that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

There are 5 teams without a SS this year? How are they doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish the Orioles would have drafted Rendon instead of Bundy in 2011. They could have just let Hardy go after last year and had an infield of Rendon at 3B, Manny at short and Schoop at second. And with the money saved from the Hardy contract, they could go after a top bat this off-season to improve this offense. Oh well.

Rendon is awesome. But you do know that he's only played in 23 games this season, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardy is ranked second in UZR among shortstops. To me, it doesn't really matter. It's inexcusable for a player making $14 million a year to be playing the way he has on offense. I feel like that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

What? What does that even mean? Inexcusable? I'm dumbfounded. Hardy is on pace for a 2-win season per 150 games. He's being paid for two wins. How does "average" equate to "inexcusable"?

Hardy's been hitting consistently all month. Sure his power numbers are down, but with his defensive skills at SS, I see nothing wrong with resigning him.

What? What does that even mean? Inexcusable? I'm dumbfounded. Hardy is on pace for a 2-win season per 150 games. He's being paid for two wins. How does "average" equate to "inexcusable"?

I've never been a fan of players who derive most of their value from fielding. I also believe WAR tends to overrate defense and the defensive metrics they use for defensive WAR are often very unreliable.

Archived