Death knell? 1998 Redux?

Frobby

You are completely missing the point. Are you suggesting that the Orioles wouldn't be better off if they resigned Cruz and brought in a corner outfielder in the offseason? How about after the season when Davis, Wieters, Chen and O'day aren't resigned? Wake up!

Nobody denies that we would be better off this year if we could have simply added Cruz and Miller to our payroll. The question is whether they would have been good moves long term, and what we would have given up short term to make the dollars work. You have not given a good answer to either question.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are insulting to OH posters here, with your crap.

Seriously, the owner of the Nationals, choses to spend more money than he takes in, which is his right.

So you blast the Orioles for not doing that as an insult.

Spending tons of $$$$$, doesn't always get you to the WS.

What crap? I was right and you were wrong and you know it. You were the guy who chose to ignore the glaring weaknesses on this team. Every time me or anyone else criticized the Orioles or the front office, you defended the them by saying, "they've had the best record for the past few years."

You also want to do a little research on the payroll of the teams that have won the WS over the past 15-20 years. It's not just about winning the WS it's also about sustained success and being competitive.

The season has also reminded me a little bit of 1995. We hung around .500 and the wild card race until about this time of the year and collapsed. That team could never gain any momentum either. Of course Buck isn't Phil Regan. That team way underachieved.

Nobody denies that we would be better off this year if we could have simply added Cruz and Miller to our payroll. The question is whether they would have been good moves long term, and what we would have given up short term to make the dollars work. You have not given a good answer to either question.

The window to win was this year! Cruz only got a 4 year contract and the Orioles have a bunch of pending Scott Boras free agents that they aren't going to resign after this year. The bitter irony is that as a consequence of being cheap they wasted almost half of Cruz's contract this year on guys who have been DFA.

I get that Flaherty is in a horrible slump, but I still would give him some slack, solely because he can pretty much play any position besides pitcher. So I can understand why he's still on the team. But I cannot come up with one single reason as to why we DFA'ed Snider and kept David Lough. None.

I feel like the DD-bashers love to point to his failure to re-sign Cruz this off-season but seem to forget (or at least not recognize) that it was DD who signed Cruz to the one year 8 million dollar contract in 2014 that no other team was willing to give him once he turned down his QO (he didn't sign with the Os until late Feb.). That signing was paramount in the Os going to the ALCS (for me, being 30, the best Os season since I was in middle school). If that move isn't made in the first place then there would be no "didn't re-sign Cruz" argument (and we likely would not have had the season we enjoyed in 2014).

And you are insulting to OH posters here, with your crap.

Seriously, the owner of the Nationals, choses to spend more money than he takes in, which is his right.

So you blast the Orioles for not doing that as an insult.

Spending tons of $$$$$, doesn't always get you to the WS.

Why are you insulted? Can't you express your disagreement with Herman without being so insulted?

I feel like the DD-bashers love to point to his failure to re-sign Cruz this off-season but seem to forget (or at least not recognize) that it was DD who signed Cruz to the one year 8 million dollar contract in 2014 that no other team was willing to give him once he turned down his QO (he didn't sign with the Os until late Feb.). That signing was paramount in the Os going to the ALCS (for me, being 30, the best Os season since I was in middle school). If that move isn't made in the first place then there would be no "didn't re-sign Cruz" argument (and we likely would not have had the season we enjoyed in 2014).
DD made a great move by signing Cruz. He did not make a great move by letting him walk. I'm not a DD-basher, but I'm simply pointing out a mistake that DD made (and yes, he does make mistakes).

I used to think Lough had some value, very minimal but still value because of his defense and speed. After his throw home yesterday, that just about did it for me. If he can't make those kind of plays then he brings absolutely no value to the team.

I used to think Lough had some value, very minimal but still value because of his defense and speed. After his throw home yesterday, that just about did it for me. If he can't make those kind of plays then he brings absolutely no value to the team.

His speed is worthless on offense. He has no value, outside of a possible late inning defensive replacement, and/or emergency situation. With Reimold and Leak, you have the defensive replacement speed options already there. So why is Lough still on this roster?

Yeah the the DFA guys' salaries would have paid for Cruz.... this year. But who pays next year and the next two, and how much does that leave to extend Manny? You could have Cruz but you wouldn't have had Davis.
I hope that PA realizes that signing FAs to multi-year deals is an investment. I don't think that PA is opposed to all multi-year deals, after all, JJ, AJ, and Ubaldo are all multi-year deals. Whenever Manny is signed to his multi-year deal, that's an investment. Cruz's next 3 years would have been a much better investment than all of those guys who wound up being DFA'd.

Archived