Death knell? 1998 Redux?

Frobby

Just imagine where we would be with his 1.3 WAR season!!!!

We should have played Snider everyday instead of DFA'ing him. His 1.0 WAR was such a benefit to the team. Had he played more he would have been a 2.5 WAR plus player. Hell I think the Braves should release Markakis and sign Snider.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, but the fact that they were no-hit by a pitcher who only threw 40.5% of his pitches for strikes is a bit concerning.

The O's aren't the most patient offense but they've scored enough runs (8th in MLB in Runs Scored) and anything can happen in 1 game.

Their Pythagorean is 63-50 which would put us firmly in 1st place.

Isn't the Pythagorean skewed because of two huge blowout wins against the Red and White Sox?

Even if you include those (and it was Red Sox and the Phillies) that's still +23 which puts in you in the 2nd wild card spot.

And you could also take the 2 biggest losses and do something similar.

That being said it doesn't help us going forward as our record is our record and were behind the 8 ball. The only thing keeping us in it is how bad the Angels have been playing.

The window to win was this year! Cruz only got a 4 year contract and the Orioles have a bunch of pending Scott Boras free agents that they aren't going to resign after this year. The bitter irony is that as a consequence of being cheap they wasted almost half of Cruz's contract this year on guys who have been DFA.

I spent a little time searching for any comments you made this offseason suggesting that we shouldn't have tendered Norris, Hunter, Matusz or De Aza, or shouldn't have signed Snider or Young. I didn't find any. In fact, you were extremely supportive of Norris, suggesting he belonged in the OD rotation and that Jimenez should be the odd man out. Mostly, you just wanted Angelos to spend more money this offseason. That's fine, but your ex post facto critique of spending on guys who in hindsight didn't produce is just Monday morning quarterbacking IMO.

Personally, I feel like DD has been very unlucky this year, following basically the same approach as the previous three years. He brought in plenty of guys who had a chance to produce, and rolled snake eyes. He didn't need all of these guys to produce, but he needed for some of them to do something, and against the odds, they didn't.

I spent a little time searching for any comments you made this offseason suggesting that we shouldn't have tendered Norris, Hunter, Matusz or De Aza, or shouldn't have signed Snider or Young. I didn't find any. In fact, you were extremely supportive of Norris, suggesting he belonged in the OD rotation and that Jimenez should be the odd man out. Mostly, you just wanted Angelos to spend more money this offseason. That's fine, but your ex post facto critique of spending on guys who in hindsight didn't produce is just Monday morning quarterbacking IMO.

Personally, I feel like DD has been very unlucky this year, following basically the same approach as the previous three years. He brought in plenty of guys who had a chance to produce, and rolled snake eyes. He didn't need all of these guys to produce, but he needed for some of them to do something, and against the odds, they didn't.

Not every team can spend enough to guarantee themselves a playoff spot like the Nationals, Marlins, and Padres did.

Not every team can spend enough to guarantee themselves a playoff spot like the Nationals, Marlins, and Padres did.

Well considering that the Marlins are dead last in payroll and Padres are 22nd....not entirely sure how you lumped them in with the Nationals who are 6th...

If Peter Angelos wanted to win badly and willing to spend the money there is NO reason why he could not have a payroll online with what the Nationals carry. He paid 173 millon for a team that is valued now at over 1 BILLION and some feel that is conservative.

Not saying Pete should spend that money or it would be the right thing to do but to pretend like the resources are not there to handle a much higher payroll for a couple years is just downright silly.

Well considering that the Marlins are dead last in payroll and Padres are 22nd....not entirely sure how you lumped them in with the Nationals who are 6th...

I didn't say they had high payrolls, I said they spent a lot this year on players they were sure would put them over the top. That's easier to do when you start with a low payroll, which the Orioles were not. Plus, some of their spending was in the form of prospects, not money.

Playing the "PGA is cheap" card doesn't really make a point.

I didn't say they had high payrolls, I said they spent a lot this year on players they were sure would put them over the top. That's easier to do when you start with a low payroll, which the Orioles were not. Plus, some of their spending was in the form of prospects, not money.

Playing the "PGA is cheap" card doesn't really make a point.

Gotcha and can agree there.

Just to clarify, did not say PA is cheap, I do not consider 120 million dollar payroll plus cheap. Just making the point they have the resources to spend if they so choose. Personally, I think signing free agents is the least efficient way of improving.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

o

Either the death-knell, or a turning point.

It feels horrible right now because of the no-hitter, but it isn't over.

Let's go, O's.

We're undefeated since the no-hitter.

When the season is over, I want to look back at this and see that this extremely frustrating game which punctuated our disappointing 4-5 West Coast trip was the lowest point of the season (emotionally) since the Orioles started out at 23-29 after 52 games.

I might not get what I want, but that's what I want.

Those teams dradt well and develop pitchers. The Orioles don't.

The Orioles generate revenue from two teams from MASN, yet for some reason the Nationals have a much higher payroll. It's insulting to the fans.

Os have the better record though.

o

Either the death-knell, or a turning point.

It feels horrible right now because of the no-hitter, but it isn't over.

Let's go, O's.

We're undefeated since the no-hitter.

When the season is over, I want to look back at this and see that this extremely frustrating game which punctuated our disappointing 4-5 West Coast trip was the lowest point of the season (emotionally) since the Orioles started out at 23-29 after 52 games.

I might not get what I want, but that's what I want.

2-0 since the no-hitter.

Keep it up.

Archived