Death knell? 1998 Redux?

Frobby

Angelis bought the team in July 1993. A long term lease was already in place. Do you really think Loria would be allowed to break that lease? We are talking about the ballpark that was the model for several ballparks that followed. Bud Selig extorted,and yes I'm using that term, or as others prefer, he coerced cities to build new ballparks under the scurrilous threat of relocation if they weren't built. Would Bud run counter to that successful strategy and allow the Orioles to leave their new ballpark? Think again. Peter Angelos "saving" the team in Baltimore is a folklore legend with no basis in fact.

The whole reason the team was so valuable was OPACY. Angelos brought local ownership back to the team, team was already saved like you said.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angelis bought the team in July 1993. A long term lease was already in place. Do you really think Loria would be allowed to break that lease? We are talking about the ballpark that was the model for several ballparks that followed. Bud Selig extorted,and yes I'm using that term, or as others prefer, he coerced cities to build new ballparks under the specious threat of relocation if they weren't built. Would Bud run counter to that successful strategy and allow the Orioles to leave their new ballpark? Think again. Peter Angelos "saving" the team in Baltimore is a folklore legend with no basis in fact.

Which is more profitable? DC or Baltimore. Even though OPACY was in it's infancy, there would have been a huge number of contestants that would have at least been tempted to move the team to DC. With angelos we didn't have to worry about that possibility.

Which is more profitable? DC or Baltimore. Even though OPACY was in it's infancy, there would have been a huge number of contestants that would have at least been tempted to move the team to DC. With angelos we didn't have to worry about that possibility.

No, there was 0.00000% chance of the Orioles moving anywhere with a brand-new OPACY in place. I think folks are forgetting the impact the new stadium had. They sold out essentially every game for 5-6 years. The park was the whole reason the team had the highest payroll in baseball in the late 90s. If you'd made a list of most likely relocation candidates the day before Angelos bought the team there would have been at least 25 teams ahead of the Orioles.

I guess you ignored everything I wrote, so let's try again with one simple question. Do you think MLB would have allowed the move and why?

I guess you ignored everything I wrote, so let's try again with one simple question. Do you think MLB would have allowed the move and why?

If the MASN deal hadn't taken place, then we would have probably been chased out. In the late 90's, no they wouldn't have moved. But with a team in DC, yeah they probably would have if not for the MASN deal

Archived