Death knell? 1998 Redux?

Frobby

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just want to say something that seems in defense of DD but its more the reality.I know for a fact that his hands were tied about signing some of the big producers last year,and the edict came from the executive offices.Its why we won't sign Davis too, and probably any others.Its not just being "cheap", its PA's "budget" constraints and like it or not, that is coming from upstairs.In contrast, Toronto has a virtual open check book and a willingness to use it.So while its easy to blame DD, he only had so many options on who to sign and for how much.That said, I still think the Cruz deal will end up being somewhat of a "bargain". No Boras client will re-sign with Baltimore from what I know.

If Peter Angelos isn't interested in spending money to put a winner on the field then it isn't worth it for the fans to get upset. If he doesn't care then why should we? It simply isn't worth getting mad or upset over. Fortunately, Baltimore has the Ravens and Steve Bisciotti actually cares.

$120m isn't chump change. Look what the Athletics, Royals, and Rays have been able to do.

All that and Duquette has left the minor league system barren because he hasn't instituted much that has yielded developmental effects.

Those teams dradt well and develop pitchers. The Orioles don't.

The Orioles generate revenue from two teams from MASN, yet for some reason the Nationals have a much higher payroll. It's insulting to the fans.

Regarding the death knell:

Sometimes the metaphors seem more clear with a little more distance from the event. It could very well be. That said, it feels more like sands slipping away in an hour glass. Too much to do with too little time left to do it.

And a little bit of this.

lucyfootball.jpg

[video=youtube;maHTo-4AW9Y]

I'm sure that this is true. However, how many players did DD sign who wound up DFA'd as dead money (or mostly dead money)? De Aza, E. Cabrera, D. Young, W. Wright, T. Snider, B. Norris. Surely at least one of the big producers (I'm thinking of Cruz) could have been resigned for the same amount as all that dead money.
Its called dumpster diving within the PA Budget constrains, you win some you lose some, last year DD won some, this year he lost BIG TIME.

DD could have resigned Nelson Cruz. And not signed all of the dead weight that cost just as much. And still stayed within the PA Budget constraints. Nellie at least would have stayed with the team and would not have been DFA'ed. :rolleyestf:

Btw, lough's throw in the third may have been one of the single worst throws in baseball history. He was closer to the infield than the warning track and he threw one that nearly bounced a third time.

The ladies from a league of their own would be embarrassed by that throw and I don't mean the players that were portrayed in the movie, I mean Madonna and whoever else played in the outfield.

Even they thought that throw had nothing on it.

I (luckily) didn't watch the game, but just watched the reply of this play. And I have admired Lough's defensive ability in the past, but I have to agree that this is one of the worst outfield throws I have seen, especially for a guy charging in while making the throw. I looked a few times at the video to see if the ball was slipping out of his hand, but nope. This makes Nate McLouth look like Jesse Barfield.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v360814583/balsea-cano-singles-to-left-to-score-gutierrez/?query=robinson+cano

The Orioles generate revenue from two teams from MASN, yet for some reason the Nationals have a much higher payroll. It's insulting to the fans.

How is the extra money the Nats are spending working out for them? Do they have more playoff wins over the years..no. Are they a more disappointing team than us this year....yes. Bad example.

And you are insulting to OH posters here, with your crap.

Seriously, the owner of the Nationals, choses to spend more money than he takes in, which is his right.

So you blast the Orioles for not doing that as an insult.

Spending tons of $$$$$, doesn't always get you to the WS.

DD could have resigned Nelson Cruz. And not signed all of the dead weight that cost just as much. And still stayed within the PA Budget constraints. Nellie at least would have stayed with the team and would not have been DFA'ed. :rolleyestf:

No argument from me I agree. I've never been a real fan of this dumpster diving talent search and I fully understand that were not the Skanks payroll wise.

The Nationals are 3 games over .500 and 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. We are 1 game over .500 and 2 games out of a wild card game. Spending that money working for them?

Yeah the the DFA guys' salaries would have paid for Cruz.... this year. But who pays next year and the next two, and how much does that leave to extend Manny? You could have Cruz but you wouldn't have had Davis.

How is the extra money the Nats are spending working out for them? Do they have more playoff wins over the years..no. Are they a more disappointing team than us this year....yes. Bad example.

You are completely missing the point. Are you suggesting that the Orioles wouldn't be better off if they resigned Cruz and brought in a corner outfielder in the offseason? How about after the season when Davis, Wieters, Chen and O'day aren't resigned? Wake up!

Archived