Qualifying Offer Value Set At $17.2MM

wildcard

I disagree. I think they can QO Matt, still have the 16 million to spend AND the draft pick. You believe Scott Boras will let him sign a 1 year deal where he might even split time at catcher and are so trying to avoid this that you would have Matt walk and get no compensation at all. We shall see who is correct.
I know it is a chance. But I QO him.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a gamble isn't it? It's also a situation different than any other I've seen in the short history of qualifying offers. The prospect of leaving money on the table is unthinkable to just about everyone including those who already have more than a normal person would spend in a lifetime. So is Wieters disciplined enough to take a good long-term offer this offseason, or in his mind is he still the can't-miss prospect who's going to raise the bar for professional catchers and whose ego and that of his agent still requires him to be compensated accordingly?

I tend to avoid making predictions based on other people's psychology, but it certainly makes this situation interesting.

I think Matt Wieters is disciplined enough to know that as a catcher, this is life changing money. And not to blow it with additional injury probability.

I will be very irritated if they give away a pick by not hitting Matt with a QO.

This farm system is not in a state where refusing talent is an option.

Of course this is Heyman we are talking about and sometimes I think he is literally on Boras' payroll.

And by sometimes I mean all the time.

I am not certain that we will ever even make another offer to Davis.

I am not certain that we will ever even make another offer to Davis.

Why bother if you know your best isn't good enough?

If Davis had really wanted to stay there would have been a serious dialog before it got to this point.

Davis is just spinning it to make him look like the good guy so he won't get booed when the comes back as a visiting player.

Why bother if you know your best isn't good enough?

If Davis had really wanted to stay there would have been a serious dialog before it got to this point.

Davis is just spinning it to make him look like the good guy so he won't get booed when the comes back as a visiting player.

"It's out of my hands now."

I will be very irritated if they give away a pick by not hitting Matt with a QO.

This farm system is not in a state where refusing talent is an option.

Of course this is Heyman we are talking about and sometimes I think he is literally on Boras' payroll.

And by sometimes I mean all the time.

How does Heyman reporting this benefit Boras? Let's assume he is floating this out there on Boras' behalf. This isn't going to influence the Orioles decision, at least I hope not. The market won't react until the QO decision is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does Heyman reporting this benefit Boras? Let's assume he is floating this out there on Boras' behalf. This isn't going to influence the Orioles decision, at least I hope not. The market won't react until the QO decision is made.

Heyman is trying to scare the Orioles off of the QO for Boras. That is the benefit.

If Heyman's report influences the Orioles in any way, then the problems in the warehouse are bigger than I thought.

But Boras is already paying Heyman (in my mind) so why not give it a try?

Not like it will make the O's more likely to give him a QO.

Can't hurt him to spread some discord in the FO.

If Heyman's report influences the Orioles in any way, then the problems in the warehouse are bigger than I thought.

The press, rumors, and rumblings can absolutely influence the weighing of costs and benefits. It's a guess at best anyway. Let's say Buck heard Ken regurgitate it. He might be giddy with the idea of keeping Matt and champion the cause of putting a QO on him to Peter!

The press, rumors, and rumblings can absolutely influence the weighing of costs and benefits. It's a guess at best anyway.

I can see the press having influence in free agency and trades, but a binary decision like a QO? No, I don't see it. The Orioles or any other team has to have a contingency plan in place if their guys sign the QO.

Are you saying that Duquette allows himself to be swayed by Heyman?

The press, rumors, and rumblings can absolutely influence the weighing of costs and benefits. It's a guess at best anyway. Let's say Buck heard Ken regurgitate it. He might be giddy with the idea of keeping Matt and champion the cause of putting a QO on him to Peter!

What? If Buck wants Wieters, you don't think he makes the Orioles force him to turn down the QO to leave?

Also, Boras and co, don't want the QO applied.

Archived