• Created
  • Last Reply

Angels catchers

# Catchers B/T Ht Wt DOB

47 Jett Bandy R-R 6'4" 235 Mar 26, 1990

17 Chris Iannetta R-R 6'0" 230 Apr 8, 1983

Rafael Lopez Disabled List 60-day DL ** L-R 5'9" 200 Oct 2, 1987

58 Carlos Perez R-R 6'0" 210 Oct 27, 1990

Of course he will. Doesn't mean the O's are gonna make the QO.
Why not? If he is almost certainly going to get better offers, why not get the pick? There is almost no risk, and were he to take the offer, he would only be making 4 M more than he is now, for one year, so no big f'ing deal. Why is this so hard for some people.

Two opinions:

1) Buck wants Wieters back.

2) Buck has more influence over who the O's sign than anyone on the Hangout.

I don't get why... the pitching is worse under him. His numbers are steadily declining, and his bat is getting slower by the swing. Let's spend the money somewhere useful.. which is almost any other position/pitching given our current state.

I don't get why... the pitching is worse under him. His numbers are steadily declining, and his bat is getting slower by the swing. Let's spend the money somewhere useful.. which is almost any other position/pitching given our current state.

Its unfair to measure Matts bat speed by his 2015 season. He was not completely healthy. I think Buck believes that Matt will recover fully. That his home runs and ability to drive in run is a benefit to the team for a catcher. That his defense will improve with a healthy off season of workouts.

Buck trusts Matt. He knows that Joseph and Clevenger don't have the overall talent that Matt has. If Matt turns out to be affordable the O's will probably sign him.

Davis and Chen may be out the O's price range as Wieters would be if he had been completely health. I would not dismiss what a healthy Matt Wieters can do.

Why not? If he is almost certainly going to get better offers, why not get the pick? There is almost no risk, and were he to take the offer, he would only be making 4 M more than he is now, for one year, so no big f'ing deal. Why is this so hard for some people.

If this is all so simple then why didn't the Os make Markakis a qualifying offer?

All this hand wringing speculation is silly. You honestly think that Wieters wont get at least 2/20M from one of ATL, WAS, or LAD? That would be better than the 15.whatever M QO.

I do not believe that 2/20 is better than the QO. Do you think, if he accepts the QO, he won't make more than 4 something the following year? IMO the minimum 2 year contract he would consider is 32.

As far as WC's assertion that it is well known about how well he prepares for each game, I have never seen any evidence that Wieter's does more or less than anyone other catcher.

As far as BS wanting him back, I'm sure he does. If he had to rank the FA's he wants back, I believe he'd rank Wieter's at best 3rd on the list.

I think they should offer the QO, but I will be disappointed if he took it, unless they trade him for some proven player or prospect(s).

Offer him the QO.

If he declines, as he almost certainly would, we win.

If he accepts, teams will stop offering QOs to clearly B-level guys like Kyle Lohse, Michael Cuddyer, and Kendrys Morales so all of baseball wins(and the Orioles are part of "all of baseball").

Not sure how escalating salaries for B level guys helps " all of baseball"? Can you explain further?

Archived