MLBTR predicts 4/64m for Matt Wieters

wildcard

Boras is his agent, and 99.9 chance he gets a contract elsewhere.

The team gets the competitive pick in return, if they offer the QO.

I fully understand that.

And as I said, they've said things in the past that seems to suggest the FO's philosophy is that they only offer the QO if they are comfortable w the guy coming back on a one year close to 16 mil at this point deal.

I can see why they wouldn't want Wieters back at 1/16.

So if they follow that philosophy out, they might not offer it.

Even if he's almost sure to reject it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Expecting? No not expecting. Just trying to get someone to tell me who the O's can acquire that has the potential to hit as well as a healthy Wieters. So far no one has offered a good suggestion.
Realistically a healthy Wieters would probably give you .730 OPS 15 HR 60 RBI. I think their are plenty of options that can give you that. Some in house. The point is we don't have a need at C to warrant spending 16 M on it. For that money we could get two OBP guys like Jaso and Zobrist, or a good SP, both greater areas if need.

Realistically a healthy Wieters would probably give you .730 OPS 15 HR 60 RBI. I think their are plenty of options that can give you that. Some in house. The point is we don't have a need at C to warrant spending 16 M on it. For that money we could get two OBP guys like Jaso and Zobrist, or a good SP, both greater areas if need.

Those wacky guys at MLBTR think that Zobrist could conceivably get a fourth year at $17 million per.

I said the other day that Zobrist is going to be one of those guys that gets well rewarded this offseason.

He's too old for me to offer anything close to that kind of deal.

A fourth year would be an immediate deal-breaker for me. I might go three, but for nowhere near the numbers MLBTR is throwing around.

If someone is willing to give Wieters that kind of money, I say, "Thanks for the memories Matt. You know, like the time you called first pitch fastballs to Ibanez in not just one, but two straight at bats in the playoff game despite the fact the guy was a dead red fastball hitter and looking to pull a home run?"

I'll go to war with Joseph and Clevinger and save that money for some pitching or power at first base and corner outfield.

If someone is willing to give Wieters that kind of money, I say, "Thanks for the memories Matt. You know, like the time you called first pitch fastballs to Ibanez in not just one, but two straight at bats in the playoff game despite the fact the guy was a dead red fastball hitter and looking to pull a home run?"

I'll go to war with Joseph and Clevinger and save that money for some pitching or power at first base and corner outfield.

I agree.

I felt differently a couple of years ago ...... prior to Wieters' injury, and also with the the thought of shelling out lots of money to keep him not being a reality that I was immediately looking at.

Now that IT IS a reality that I am immediately looking at, and especially with the emergence of Caleb Joseph of being at least a serviceable replacement for Wieters, I hope that the Orioles don't splurge for him with a long-term contract. At most, I would want the Orioles to pay him a lot of money for one year (2016), with the philosophy that there is no such thing as a bad one-year contract.

A fourth year would be an immediate deal-breaker for me. I might go three, but for nowhere near the numbers MLBTR is throwing around.

It worries me that he was a below-average defender across two different teams last year. If he's not the multi-position plus defender he used to be, all he is is a 35-year-old with a slightly above average bat that will decline over the next few years. If he was worth 2 wins this year his contract should be for no more than 2, 1.5, 1, and 0.5 wins, or 5 total which is $35M. Someone will sorely regret a Cruz deal for him.

I agree.

I felt differently a couple of years ago ...... prior to Wieters' injury, and also with the the thought of shelling out lots of money to keep him not being a reality that I was immediately looking at.

Now that IT IS a reality that I am immediately looking at, and especially with the emergence of Caleb Joseph of being at least a serviceable replacement for Wieters, I hope that the Orioles don't splurge for him with a long-term contract. At most, I would want the Orioles to pay him a lot of money for one year (2016), with the philosophy that there is no such thing as a bad one-year contract.

More specifically, there is no such thing as a DISASTROUS one-year contract.

Perhaps there have been a handful or two of bad one-year contracts over the years, but none of them have severely hamstrung a franchise for a number of years (as have numerous bad, long-term contracts.)

More specifically, there is no such thing as a DISASTROUS one-year contract.

Perhaps there have been a handful or two of bad one-year contracts over the years, but none of them have severely hamstrung a franchise for a number of years (as have numerous bad, long-term contracts.)

That's a good rule of thumb, and would drive me to making QOs to pretty much everyone besides relievers and Mendoza-line hitters. The downside is once in a blue moon you get a $12M catcher for $16M. Upside is a ton of draft picks.

I remember those!

Archived