"You know we are gonna participate in the Rule 5 Draft."(OF Rickard from Tampa)

weams

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I'm not sure having Bundy on the roster affects Rickard too much cuz they play different positions. Although I guess sometimes we are forced to with with a short bench because of pitching issues and that could hurt him.

But, it does provide opponents of the rule 5 draft, a change to harp on it. :(

It will prolong the fact that they won't have enough roster space for him and Bundy. Just my opinion.

As the other poster mentioned, they likely only effect each other in the case of a short bench. Otherwise they are not competing for the same spots. Rickard is competing with reimold and hoes while bundy is competing with BP arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need your help sir, I understand the process. I just asked for your opinion as to why we would do that. Thank you for sharing it.

I don't think anyone was trying to be condescending or suggest that you didn't understand the rule five process. I think that was a part of conveying the "why we would do that." They like rickard's potential and the downside/cost is so minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't understand why it makes sense to take a flyer on a guy for what amounts to basically $0, then I'm not sure we can help you.

If the O's took a guy in the Rule 5 they must really like him and are definitely going to keep him even if it's illogical and there are better players who'd lose a job over it and Duquette regularly does stupid things and it was a waste of money anyway and who cares because the Orioles are going to win 72 games and when does Ravens season start?

"Why not?"

With the Bundy situation, there is no way your keeping him and a rule 5 on the roster all year. Unless that parking lot pot-hole decides to pop up again, I can't see Buck liking that strategy much

Trade Bundy and others for Tyson Ross. Then, i would smile.

If Bundy becomes valuable enough to trade for Tyson Ross, you aren't going to want to trade him.

Good grief.

Thread: Rule 5

Too short of an answer.

Yet again, neg rep from a poster that simply must create an argument wherever possible.

Well, OK, then. As most people realize, "most likely" is a figure of speech. It really needs no explanation to 99% of the English-speaking population. For those that somehow didn't get my meaning, I was not laying odds or making book. I was simply stating that it certainly would be no surprise whatsoever if Bundy were to begin the season on the DL. Given the Orioles roster situation, Bundy's history, and DD's propensity toward using roster rules to help him manipulate the 25-man and 40-man rosters, it would frankly be a mild surprise to me if Bundy wasn't on the DL to begin the season

My jaw certainly wouldn't drop, however, if it turned out that Bundy did start the year on the 25-man roster.

As to the connection to Rickard, I neither brought it up nor connected Bundy to Rickard. The OP did that. That is what we are discussing. Finding fault with that is just plain looking for an argument.

I have zero desire to debate silly issues with someone that has posted pages and pages in multiple threadds as to the exact meaning of "off the tablw." I do not care what you think "most likely" means. Argue with yourself, if you wish - not me. That, my friend is what I meant by "good grief."

This is really pretty simple. If Bundy is healthy, he is a very valuable pitcher on the ML roster. If he isn't he is on the DL. No problem there. Rickard? I think they see Rickard as a valuable 4th OF type who can cover all 3 OF positions in a pinch. Just like Lough has been doing. I think the Orioles think he can do that job better than Lough did, and be a very valuable piece going forward. Whats the problem again?

Joey Rickard is leading his Leones del Escogido team in AB with 191, way ahead of everyone else. In 50 games his slash line is .277/.344/.450/.794. 6 HR, 32 RBI, 3SB in 4 attempts, 28 Runs, and 36 Strikeouts.

Jimmy Paredes, who is on the same team, is having a disappointing winter... .205/.258/.289/.548 in 83 AB.

Cause it's Jimmy Paredes. How he's still in baseball is beyond me.

I think Paredes would pass through waivers. I can't see any value in a dude without a position who isn't capable of 30HR.

I could see him being DFA at end of ST if he isn't showing any progress. Though Buck rarely uses his bench so he might have a spot on the team until they get into a crunch somewhere.

Archived