"You know we are gonna participate in the Rule 5 Draft."(OF Rickard from Tampa)

weams

Dan threatening us all with the horror of another one of his trades.

Rule 5 getting hyped.

Minor League free agency in full swing.

Buck getting us pumped on a possible Jim Johnson return.

God I love a Duquette offseason.

It's interesting for sure!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Among the interesting Rule 5-eligible prospects the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pirates?src=hash">#Pirates</a> didn't protect: OF Barrett Barnes and RHPs Clay Holmes, Luis Heredia.</p>— Adam Berry (@adamdberry) <a href="

">November 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Barrett Barnes, OF: Barnes has spent little time on the field, but the Pirates have to make a call just the same. He had a solid but not outstanding season, with a .782 OPS in Bradenton (58 games) and .703 in Altoona (37). He turned 24 at the end of July, which is a negative. He does have power, although it hasn't appeared in games enough yet, and he can play center well enough at least to be a fourth outfielder. I'm guessing the Pirates will protect him just to ensure they get a chance to see whether he can develop if he gets a couple years without missing a lot of time.

Clay Holmes, RHP: This should be an easy call, although I suppose the Pirates could gamble that nobody will select him given the missed time and lack of a substantial track record. He pitched well after returning, but the Pirates shut him down after just 23 innings. They claimed it was just a precaution, but they also claimed Cole Tucker wasn't hurt.

Luis Heredia, RHP: Heredia doesn't even look like a prospect any more and he was only a little young for his level this year. Add in his conditioning issues and it's hard to see why another team would want to take the trouble. The Pirates have a big investment in Heredia, but the idea that he could be a major leaguer after three option years looks pretty far-fetched.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2015/10/18/9561435/rule-5-and-upcoming-roster-moves

My rule 5 prediction: Orioles select Daniel Hultzen, RHP, Seattle Mariners

His family lives in my neighborhood, or at least, used to (I'm not sure). His dad was the neonatologist on duty the day my daughter was born. Nice guy.

That's a big signing bonus Seattle just flushed.

Archived