"You know we are gonna participate in the Rule 5 Draft."(OF Rickard from Tampa)

weams

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I easily see us drafting two guys again. I like a couple of the arms. Especially the Astros lefty that can touch 100. The 1b from KC with the torn ACL could be a good guy to take and stash on the DL and then platoon him.

Alberto Tirado, rhp, Phillies

Alberto Tirado, rhp, Phillies

I was thinking of Reymin Guduan LHP 23 years old from the Astros. But Tirado is nasty. This is why I don't get why people hate on the rule V. You get a chance to grab arms like this, and the Orioles actually participate. Even without O'day our pen is solid enough to carry another rule 5.

Britton

Givens

Brach

Matusz

Rule 5 guy

Then two spots filled by Wright, Wilson, Drake, Garcia, Roe, SJ, Mac etc... I'm pretty sure that if Garcia were eligible that he would have been in the 8-12 range in our prospect rankings. Not bad considering we got him for free.

I was thinking of Reymin Guduan LHP 23 years old from the Astros. But Tirado is nasty. This is why I don't get why people hate on the rule V. You get a chance to grab arms like this, and the Orioles actually participate. Even without O'day our pen is solid enough to carry another rule 5.

Britton

Givens

Brach

Matusz

Rule 5 guy

Then two spots filled by Wright, Wilson, Drake, Garcia, Roe, SJ, Mac etc... I'm pretty sure that if Garcia were eligible that he would have been in the 8-12 range in our prospect rankings. Not bad considering we got him for free.

Yes you get a chance to grab arms like that, but instead Duquette grabs guys like Flaherty and McFarland.

OFer Tyler Goeddel looks like a player the O's would go after. He is a former #1 draft choice. Right up Dan's alley. They will probably have to trade up to get him.

I read his blurb and immediately thought "sounds a little like Reimold." I don't know if the two are at all comparable, but I could see the Orioles taking a shot. Clevenger, Matusz, and Flaherty really limit the Orioles options here though.

I would also look at some of the guys coming out of some of the deeper systems like the Cards or Astros. They tend to have been coached well and we're possibly overshadowed by top prospects in that system.

Great article. I am intrigued by Blash. Corner OF, .995 OPS in AAA last year. I could see carrying a guy like that in the Paredes role. Fuenmayor looks promising too.

I am as well; he was the name that really jumped out at me as I read through due to his combination of apparent production and our need at the position. Anyone have more information on him, or perhaps a downside that wasn't readily apparent from the BA article? Obviously age is one, but...

Tyler Goeddel from Tampa sounds like a possibility, too.

Whole bunch of Jason Garcia-esqe players there (high velocity, but either control or inexperience issues), but I bet we go position player this year because we have to carry Bundy, if he's healthy (big 'if').

Archived