Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that payroll space everyone likes to keep talking about just took a 15 million dollar hit.
It's a one year deal. It isn't going to make or break a 6-7 year deal worth $150MM. Plus, they can move pieces around (Matusz and Gonzalez) to make more room for 2016 if they need it.
Yeah there goes roughly half the budget.

How do you know it was not all of it? ;)

Well, that payroll space everyone likes to keep talking about just took a 15 million dollar hit.

Can't trade Wieters without his consent until June, but it gives them a 3 win player on a one year deal at a position with scarcity. If he returns to form, he'll be valuable in a summer trade or the O's just get the pick a year later.

I think you could see the Orioles use Wieters as their primary DH and backup catcher. Joseph has so much value defensively that I still believe he will be the primary catcher. I would rather have Wieters as the primary DH than someone like Pearce or Pedro Alvarez. More money than they likely would have spent on a DH but not catastrophic in my opinion.

Can't trade Wieters without his consent until June, but it gives them a 3 win player on a one year deal at a position with scarcity. If he returns to form, he'll be valuable in a summer trade or the O's just get the pick a year later.

Yes, I'm not upset about it or anything. The key being he has to return to form, then it's a relative bargain.

However, I would have rathered Joseph and someone else platoon and save the money ideally. Still thought the QO was worth the risk, shocked he took it.

Archived