Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Got confirmation that Wieters did accept QO offer, as <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a> reported.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">November 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, I'm not upset about it or anything. The key being he has to return to form, then it's a relative bargain.

However, I would have rathered Joseph and someone else platoon and save the money ideally. Still thought the QO was worth the risk, shocked he took it.

I'm actually kinda cool about it. There is some team identity there. And Buck is so very happy.

I think you could see the Orioles use Wieters as their primary DH and backup catcher. Joseph has so much value defensively that I still believe he will be the primary catcher. I would rather have Wieters as the primary DH than someone like Pearce or Pedro Alvarez. More money than they likely would have spent on a DH but not catastrophic in my opinion.

Both of those guys are better hitters for their careers than Wieters. If Wieters isn't catching, he loses all value.

Not shocked at all. I think Atlanta was the only other choice for him. He likes it here. John Russell and him are close and the Buckster. I know people here were real down on him but he likes Baltimore and enjoys it here. Boras might not be happy but it is what it is. Not a Chicago or LA guy.

I don't think Boras really cares one way or the other. There's a little risk, but the return could be huge.

Yes, I'm not upset about it or anything. The key being he has to return to form, then it's a relative bargain.

However, I would have rathered Joseph and someone else platoon and save the money ideally. Still thought the QO was worth the risk, shocked he took it.

You'll still have it in 2017.

Once Atlanta said they weren't interested - that was a sign that there might not be much of a market for him. So I'm not real surprised, and I'm not disappointed. If he does well in the first half of the season, we can trade him - not to mention getting a good half year from him. Mid-season, there could be multiple teams that think they need a catcher to get to the playoffs. In the meantime, our draft outlook is still looking real good. Let's face it, if they got 3 supplemental picks, they were going to focus too much on signability.

Archived