Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they didn't sign him because they really want and need Gallardo?

It took decades for me to be able to properly differentiate between needs and wants. Gallardo does not constitute a need.

Can Worley give you 180+ innings? Can Latos?

Now, I believe that we are adding another dimension to the equation.

We have wants ...... we have needs ...... but these "wants" and "needs" often depend on what is still available.

If there are/were more very solid and dependable pitchers available, then that can change the perception of what a "want" is, and what a "need" is.

I wonder if part of the situation here is that if you pay $7m or more for a starter you are basically inking his name into the rotation... And we're not convinced that Fister, Latos, or even Gallardo are automatically better than a competition among existing candidates. Probably better, but not automatically better than the guy that pitches well enough in ST to win the spot.

Gallardo is definitely better than the names in the running for the 5th spot. Just the question is is he worth the contract and loss of draft pick.

If the Orioles announced they signed Fister to the be the 5th starter, how much more at ease would anyone on this boards mind be than if they decide to go with say Worley or Wright? Mine would not be all that much more at ease.

Fister not only had a bad year, he also had a drop in velocity. Its pretty risky to assume he will bounce back, perhaps he will but it is certainly not a foregone conclusion. At the end of the day, perhaps Fister would have the better upside but I don't see him as all that less risky a proposition than Worley

Gallardo is paying full sticker price for a Chevy Malibu. The #14 pick is $3400 for undercoating and pinstriping.

Is there a price though were you would feel ok with the O's signing him or his just not worth it in your opinion regardless.

Say he can't get anyone to bite on a multi-year deal worth signing, if he could be had for say 1/15 would you bite on that, hoping to get enough production to QO him and pick up a pick on the backend? Personally I would not but I would be far less disturbed with that then signing him to a multi-year deal.

Yeah. I'm just wondering if the O's might prioritize innings over other things like K rate. Chen gave them innings the last 2 years and it's tough to take those out of the equation and keep your sterling bullpen healthy, which is obviously going to be a key to their success this season.

Factor in that Gonzo (144), Ubaldo (125 in 2014), and Gausman (untested for a full season) aren't locks for a ton of innings. And Tillman is coming off a 170 inning season.

I can't say that I know you are wrong.

Is there a price though were you would feel ok with the O's signing him or his just not worth it in your opinion regardless.

Say he can't get anyone to bite on a multi-year deal worth signing, if he could be had for say 1/15 would you bite on that, hoping to get enough production to QO him and pick up a pick on the backend? Personally I would not but I would be far less disturbed with that then signing him to a multi-year deal.

The roughly $20M value of the pick makes almost any reasonable deal unreasonable.

Either Dan has some trade that is close to being consumed or they believe that Wright or Wilson is equal to or greater than Fister and the extra bucks. Maybe the plan is to go with the kids and adjust mid season once teams fall out of contention. Let's just hope that isn't us.

Either Dan has some trade that is close to being consumed or they believe that Wright or Wilson is equal to or greater than Fister and the extra bucks. Maybe the plan is to go with the kids and adjust mid season once teams fall out of contention. Let's just hope that isn't us.

I think there is hope that something becomes available in ST, when a team doesnt have the roster space.

Archived