Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At these prices, Miguel Gonzalez is quite the bargain. He could return a bunch of prospects if we had someone to replace him.

I think Gonzalez is a fine #5 starter, and might be a heck of a decent relief pitcher, but I'd be surprised if you could get one prospect from the back end up the top-100 in return for him.

A soon to be 32 year old #4 starter would return a bunch of prospects?
I think Gonzalez is a fine #5 starter, and might be a heck of a decent relief pitcher, but I'd be surprised if you could get one prospect from the back end up the top-100 in return for him.

Okay, maybe we could get an old cardboard belt and a martini.

Sure. He's cheap and under control for a few years and could rebound to give you a sub-4.00 season.

Mike Pelfrey just got 2/16. Rich Hill got 6 million after 6 good September starts. I think Gonzo is great value and he will rebound next year. The guy actually rehabbed for a month to get back to make 2 starts in the last days of the season. He could have easily packed it in.

Mike Pelfrey just got 2/16. Rich Hill got 6 million after 6 good September starts. I think Gonzo is great value and he will rebound next year. The guy actually rehabbed for a month to get back to make 2 starts in the last days of the season. He could have easily packed it in.

Pelfrey is coming of a 2.0 fWAR season. Happ 3.3. Gonzalez' career fWAR is 3.8.

Pelfrey is coming of a 2.0 fWAR season. Happ 3.3. Gonzalez' career fWAR is 3.8.

That there shows you how much of a joke that stat is. Pelfry was awful this season and has been evern worse the last few years and gets 8 million a year. This is why we have to start devloping the pitching so we don't pay guys with ERA close to 5 over a three year span 8 million dollars.

Pelfrey threw 164 innings to a 4.26. Gonzalez had 144 innings of a 4.92. No joke stat there, just old reliable, biased ERA.

TBF, fangraphs flavor of WAR is much more harsh on groundball pitchers than BBRef's.

EDIT - Hmmm, interesting... Pelfrey actually had a substantially higher GB rate than MG last season, although, MG had much superior K/9 and BB/9. Miguel's WHIP was better too.

That there shows you how much of a joke that stat is. Pelfry was awful this season and has been evern worse the last few years and gets 8 million a year. This is why we have to start devloping the pitching so we don't pay guys with ERA close to 5 over a three year span 8 million dollars.

Actually I think the deal he signed validates that data a bit. It shows more about how useful ERA is than it does fWAR.

One reason to favor fWAR. "Ground ball pitcher" is descriptive, not indicative of value.

Eh. It seems that the guys over at fan graphs are doing some investigation into soft contact, etc. due to the seeming limitation in claiming pitchers don't control anything beyond K, BB and HR. I can agree that it is not indicative of value in and of itself, but it seems that getting outs via GB rather than K is a definitive negative in valuing pitchers via FG's methodology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived