Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

That's great. Great news. But then ownership and Duquette can't complain about payroll restrictions when the 1.5 WAR version of Jones is eventually eating-up 15-20% of the payroll. And Ubaldo/Hardy/Britton/whomever it happens to be at the time is also not being moved because "we're trying to win, not rebuild."

There has to be a plan, Weams. At some point, there needs to be a big picture with someone saying "This might not be popular/fun but I guess this is what we need to do." Well, I guess we have that already -- it's just the "unpopular" thing tends to be reclamation projects and/or assets devalued elsewhere. Which gives you a chance for lightening in a bottle and a decent shot at not being "that team" embarrassingly putting together 64 wins on the year.

I think the plan is to try and field a competitive team every year, improve incrementally without sacrificing top prospects or signing elite free agents to long term contracts. Pivot one direction or the other without completely changing course. I don't think it's a great plan, but it is a plan, and DD has been pretty consistent with it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Evaluator on LAD: "They spent $62 million on an unknown" --Hector Olivera-- "but were outbid by $30-40 million on a known star (Greinke)."</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">December 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Diamondbacks have pushed on Shelby Miller in talks with Braves; ATL seemingly focused on OFers, especially Pollock, possible expanded deal.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash">#Rays</a> are trying to be "opportunistic" by seeing what offers they can get for SP Jake Odorizzi and SP Matt Moore, per <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst">@jaysonst</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a></p>— Evan Petzold (@EvanPetzold) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">rivals believe padres need to be overwhelmed to trade tyson ross. likely to look to deal cashner after FA market shakes out</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

Archived