5 Reasons Why Signing Jason Heyward Makes Sense

mdbdotcom

I think Heyward is as big of a risk as Davis to be a bust. With Davis, your paying for past production. With Heyward, your paying mostly for potential. He's a great defender, but he's not a $200m bat. Imo.

The only way you can not think Heyward has produced at a very high level is if you do not think a corner outfielder can provide elite defense.

If you think that then Heyward isn't worth the contract.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way you can not think Heyward has produced at a very high level is if you do not think a corner outfielder can provide elite defense.

If you think that then Heyward isn't worth the contract.

He's produced at a high level defensively. But as he ages he will lose a good portion of what most of his value consists of. Especially if his bat doesn't develop into what many thought it would/can. I'd take Heyward. But he's not an elite bat. And imo, that's what you should get for what it will take to get Heyward. He could be another Michael Bourn.

He's produced at a high level defensively. But as he ages he will lose a good portion of what most of his value consists of. Especially if his bat doesn't develop into what many thought it would/can. I'd take Heyward. But he's not an elite bat. And imo, that's what you should get for what it will take to get Heyward. He could be another Michael Bourn.

Those are fairly different profiles, though. Herward is a big physical guy. 6-5/250. Heyward's an antelope that might be a tiger when all's said and done. Bourn was a rabbit.

Those are fairly different profiles, though. Herward is a big physical guy. 6-5/250. Heyward's an antelope that might be a tiger when all's said and done. Bourn was a rabbit.

I was comparing more of the contract. A speedy defense first type of player. Heyward is still young. At OPACY with the short RF, Heyward probably becomes a consistent 20-25 HR guy with a 30 HR season maybe. I wouldn't be upset if they sign him.

Its threads like this that make me shake my head and wonder what team O's fans think they are following. The highest contract the O's have ever signed is 6/85. If they offer Davis 6/120 it will be a huge jump. And Davis will probably do better.

Heyward is not in the O's future. Pedro Alvarez at DH, maybe. Ah-seop Son, maybe. Kazmir if they get lucky. But the O's that I have been following for years and years don't spend like many want them to spent.

The O's have their stars. Manny, Adam, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, maybe Tillman in a good year. That is the core. And then the O's build around them. They don't go out and spend on stars. They spend on complimentary players.

Its threads like this that make me shake my head and wonder what team O's fans think they are following. The highest contract the O's have ever signed is 6/85. If they offer Davis 6/120 it will be a huge jump. And Davis will probably do better.

Heyward is not in the O's future. Pedro Alvarez at DH, maybe. Ah-seop Son, maybe. Kazmir if they get lucky. But the O's that I have been following for years and years don't spend like many want them to spent.

The O's have their stars. Manny, Adam, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, maybe Tillman in a good year. That is the core. And then the O's build around them. They don't go out and spend on stars. They spend on complimentary players.

It's November, spring training is eons away.

I don't want to talk about Pedro Alvarez.

Oh, I see. Fantasyland then.

No, not Fantasyland. I'm under no delusion that such a signing will take place.

I'd just rather discuss the relative merits of a Heyward deal more then why picking up Alvarez is a bad idea.

Will be plenty of time to convince people I "Hate" Alvarez when the O's acquire him.

Frankly it makes for a better conversation.

Check out Clemente's age 20 -25 numbers in comparison to Heyward's. We know both Heyward and Clemente are great defensive RF, but who has the better O numbers up to age 25? And what did Clemente do after that the next 10 years. You think Heyward doesn't have the same potential?

The proof will ultimately be in the pudding this year. Dan said he has the money to resign Davis, a SP 1-3 type, and a few other pieces.

Everyone knows that Davis is getting $20+ million per. If he doesn't get Davis at $20 per from the Orioles they have it to give to someone else. That someone else would should be Heyward or Upton. Both have been predicted to get longer contracts but at a lower AAV. I think Heyward is most like to perform a long term $20 Million per contract. You could argue that giving Upton $21 per for 7 years is a safer bet than Heyward at $20 per for 10. Im okay with either....if you take Dan by what he said then you should try for the best player available if you miss out on Davis. Both of these guys fill a major need.

The proof will ultimately be in the pudding this year. Dan said he has the money to resign Davis, a SP 1-3 type, and a few other pieces.

Everyone knows that Davis is getting $20+ million per. If he doesn't get Davis at $20 per from the Orioles they have it to give to someone else. That someone else would should be Heyward or Upton. Both have been predicted to get longer contracts but at a lower AAV. I think Heyward is most like to perform a long term $20 Million per contract. You could argue that giving Upton $21 per for 7 years is a safer bet than Heyward at $20 per for 10. Im okay with either....if you take Dan by what he said then you should try for the best player available if you miss out on Davis. Both of these guys fill a major need.

He never said that money could be spent on someone other than Davis. Did he?

Check out Clemente's age 20 -25 numbers in comparison to Heyward's. We know both Heyward and Clemente are great defensive RF, but who has the better O numbers up to age 25? And what did Clemente do after that the next 10 years. You think Heyward doesn't have the same potential?

Yes... but... Clemente had excellent later-career growth. It's possible Heyward does that but you can't count on it.

Archived