Yeah Hernandez!!!!!!

GotNitro

Guthrie didn't get any run support and this has nothing at all remotely to do with LH in comparison to Tejada. LH excels compared to Tejada who is a bum on defense especially in bungling easy DP balls. Tejada' lone asset is he can hit. LH's lone asset is he can field but he also appears to maybe have more talent in situational hitting as in advancing runners, and making productive outs than many realize.

Guthrie was 46th in MLB in run support, out of 84 (those who pitched 140+ innings), with 5.13 runs per start.

So to say he didn't get any is a false statement. Erik Bedard got a full half-run less per start.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But an important question is, how many times did this really happen? Tejada was 11th in innings played among AL shortstops, 10th in DPs started, 9th in DPs turned. That certainly suggests he didn't blow more DP's than the average shortstop did, though you'd have to know how many DP chances he had to do a more sophisticated analysis.

I can certainly remember some occasions when he botched a DP. But it might have only been 5 times over last season.

Well, then obviously you are just blind.

A few things here: This is for both sides of the argument, as Math major I was taught statistics dont lie, statisticians do.

Now as a ballplayer I was taught you can always play defense but sometimes you cannot hit, weather it be pitching or defense causing that.

Hernandez has showed he can play defense hasn't hit that well, but has been productive either with his outs or walks or hits, so far this year. Is he a starting major league SS, time will tell.

In the AL with the DH you can with a good hitting team (which the O's are not) have a player there for his defense, and a SS is usually where you need defense the most. Till the offense gets better can the team live with Hernandez subpar offense and great defense, that needs to be answered.

For now I will take him over whats out there (Cedeno, Fahey or Cintron)

Weaver loved Belanger and Dempsey, yet today the board would be saying get rid of them they cant hit. Later in Blair's career (after the beaning) he didn't hit as well yet still played.

It is all about wins and sometime I feel Billy Beane forgets that.

But you don't believe that there are accurate ways to measure (or especially predict) defensive performance, so you can always say LH is worth it. If the numbers justify it, great. If not, the numbers are wrong.

Huh? I never said any such thing about there not being accurate ways to measure it. To the contrary, I think the +/- Play idea is a great idea. The problem is that you can't track it like you can with the hitting stats. So please quit with the silly all-or-nothing stuff about numbers. I completely believe in using them properly. You know this, so why are you claiming otherwise?

Oh my! Can't we just forget about Tejada and be happy for Little Luis that he's looking like a real ballplayer the past couple of days?

My sentiments exactly. Two more hits today...people should just kick back and enjoy it while it lasts.....;)

Tejada did botch a lot of potential double plays last year. I remember quite a few times where we had a good chance of turning a double play but he bobbled the ball resulting in everyone being safe. Maybe others around the league botch a lot too, but still Tejada did botch (too many for my comfort) potential double play balls.

Oh my! Can't we just forget about Tejada and be happy for Little Luis that he's looking like a real ballplayer the past couple of days?

No kidding. Obviously LH is not the equivalent of Tejada. But he is doing much better than I expected. I'm definitely willing to give him some more slack.

Crucial bunt today, those sac flies a few games back, and he's getting some hits in there too. Not great hits, but at least he isn't an auto-out. Plus the defense has definitely been solid.

Huh? I never said any such thing about there not being accurate ways to measure it. To the contrary, I think the +/- Play idea is a great idea. The problem is that you can't track it like you can with the hitting stats. So please quit with the silly all-or-nothing stuff about numbers. I completely believe in using them properly. You know this, so why are you claiming otherwise?

You must have a unique definition of "properly."

Kind of ironic that Miggy struck out to end Houston's loss today.

...though he did hit a solo homer in his previous at bat

April 5th: Miguel Tejada added a go-ahead triple in the eighth inning as the Houston Astros beat the Cubs 4-3 Friday and sent Chicago to its third loss in four games.

April 7th: Cards trailed 3-0 after 8, got 3 in the top of the 9th off Valverde to tie it up, but Miggy hit a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 9th to win it.

Very un-clutch!

But an important question is, how many times did this really happen? Tejada was 11th in innings played among AL shortstops, 10th in DPs started, 9th in DPs turned. That certainly suggests he didn't blow more DP's than the average shortstop did, though you'd have to know how many DP chances he had to do a more sophisticated analysis.

I can certainly remember some occasions when he botched a DP. But it might have only been 5 times over last season.

I don't care how many he supposedly made. He is a terrible defensive shortstop. There were three guys on his own team better at short than he was. That's downright pathetic.

I don't care how many he supposedly made. He is a terrible defensive shortstop. There were three guys on his own team better at short than he was. That's downright pathetic.

This is your opinion...An opinion not backed up by anything other than your eyes.

This is your opinion...An opinion not backed up by anything other than your eyes.

Well, unlike you I know what I see. Tejada is one of the worst Oriole shortstops I have ever seen. Here is a list FYI of better ones that I saw and I don't need to look at stats they were clearly superior to Tejada:

1. Aparicio

2. Belanger

3. Cal

4. Bordick

5. Hernandez, Fahey, Gomez, Byum, the Batboy, the Ballgirl....

Archived