Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In bringing back Wieters and O'Day, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have two of Buck Showalter's biggest supporters on hand.</p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very strong pen. Below average to bad rotation and one of the worst offenses in the league on paper right now.

But *if* Wieters and Hardy bounce back and *if* Schoop takes another step forward and *if* Jones and Machado stay healthy then it might be okay. So maybe Baltimore is good.

I am in complete shock right now. I never thought the Orioles would resign Darren especially since so many teams wanted him. When was the last time that the Orioles signed one of their free agents that they actually wanted to keep but they knew they had no chance. This just shows you that the Orioles are no longer viewed as a bad baseball team and that players love playing for Buck. I give alot of credit to Buck on this one' date=' as I don't think Darren would have resigned if Buck was not the Orioles manager.[/quote']

I agree.

The market is clearly changing and so are roles. What teams are finding out is if you can shorten the game to six innings, you give your team a chance to win more games than not. The Royals have gone to the World Series two years in a row with a three lockdown relievers. Perhaps the Orioles are looking at that and learning. Maybe the Orioles are going to raise up their payroll this year fairly significantly, who knows? At the end of the day, O'day is a great player that I enjoy watching pitch and you know what, if I'm going to overpay for a guy, he might has well be a guy who fills a role we need. I'm fine with going into the 7th inning with a lead with Givens, O'day and Britton in the bullpen.

Well said.

Working off the assumption that we're in line for at least a one year bump in payroll (which I think we are given Wieters and Trumbo are one year commitments, and the fact that we've spent 32 or our 40 "marbles" and haven't touched the starting pitching or the corner outfield, but I understand that's still quite debatable), I think this is a good deal. We clearly aren't going to be able to play in the front-line starting pitching market, so they're trying to keep our biggest strength as a strength. And the KC example. The guy has been remarkably good in a lot of impossible situations. I understand we're not paying for the past, but for the future, but I don't see compelling evidence that he's in line for some type of rapid decline that will make us regret this. The question, ultimately, is will O'Day live up to this contract, and I do think he will. If that's the case, and it turns out we go back to sucking, you can just trade him.

The other possibility, as has been discussed extensively here, is that you trade Britton and make O'Day (or eventually Givens) the closer. I think that's another good course of action.

I like the deal. A bit surprised about the amount of folks that aren't happy with this.

The market is clearly changing and so are roles. What teams are finding out is if you can shorten the game to six innings, you give your team a chance to win more games than not. The Royals have gone to the World Series two years in a row with a three lockdown relievers. Perhaps the Orioles are looking at that and learning. Maybe the Orioles are going to raise up their payroll this year fairly significantly, who knows? At the end of the day, O'day is a great player that I enjoy watching pitch and you know what, if I'm going to overpay for a guy, he might has well be a guy who fills a role we need. I'm fine with going into the 7th inning with a lead with Givens, O'day and Britton in the bullpen.

Think about this. Price and Greinke each signed for north of $30 mil. You can get three elite relievers for innings 7-8-9 for $8-9 mil each and still have some left over for bench pieces. At the cost of your "ace", you can shorten the pressure on your entire rotation #s 2-6, which become 1-5. And none of those relievers likely had a QO attached.

One other thing, a strong bullpen doesn't just have value with a lead. It also increases your chances of a come-back win.

We won 81 games last year with Brach. O'Day, and Britton. The lock down bullpen alone doesn't win.

I'm certainly not arguing that just having a lockdown bullpen is all you need, but Brach wasn't a lockdown reliever. Saying that, I think Trumbo is going to be better than most think and the only way Hardy is as bad as last year is if he's totally done as an effective MLB hitter. Jones struggled with injuries last year and should be better and most importantly, DD is not done yet. I think adding Alvarez as a DH would be a good move and there are some starting pitching options that won't cost Price money.

I have no idea what to make of this move, but I am pretty sure I like it. It could mean trading Britton for prospects. It could mean bumping payroll. Either way it is a win-win.

I have a feeling it means we are not signing Davis, but I am OK with that. I do think we need a pitcher to replace or improve on Chen.

$31m is a lot but the average dollars are reasonable. If we get three good years out of O'Day he will be worth the contract, and four would be bonus.

Archived