Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

I think the Yankees got him for 36 million because...Yankees. I think the Astros 40 million was what everyone not Yankees was bidding against.

I don't think it was ...Yankees. I think the Astros lost because...Astros.

I think Miller would have taken the Astros deal if their 2014 had looked like their 2015.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> will probably make another bullpen move before they're done. Tony Sipp is one guy they're considering.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Miller got 4/36. I'm not advocating that either as I woudn't have liked the Miller deal and definitely don't like the O'Day deal. I just found the contrast funny.

4th year, right, forgot. To Weams post, Miller was devastatingly good, younger, and a lefty. The extra 1.25M over those 4 years seems pretty decent now, but like you, at the time, I could understand why the Os didn't pull the trigger on something similar. On the plus side, it seems the Os made a decision to pay market value (for O'Day), rather than perceived value. I'm encouraged by that. Don't want to see it every time, but the willingness to do so may indicate that there has at least been a shift in the FO thinking...)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> will probably make another bullpen move before they're done. Tony Sipp is one guy they're considering.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

Sweet! Maybe if they are lucky they can have a bullpen full of guys without options again!

Then they have an excuse to send down Gausman.

I'd love to have Sipp, but do we really have a need for another reliever? We barely have any real prospects but our minor leagues are filled with back end of the bullpen relievers. It seems like an inefficient allocation of resources. Where are we going to get positive value out of our roster?

4/36. The only major difference in risk with Miller was his spottier health/durability track record. I really like O'Day, but am still very wary of that kind of commitment to a reliever.

I don't think relievers as good as O'Day go completely belly-up that frequently. He'd have to have a seriously crippling injury - even if he gets hurt and comes back at significantly diminished capacity, he's still going to produce some value.

From that fangraphs article I linked to earlier:

Over the last three seasons, O’Day has been worth 7.4 RA9-WAR. That’s WAR based on ERA, instead of FIP. Between 1986 – 2011, I found 17 relievers who threw at least 150 innings between the ages of 30 – 32, with an ERA- no higher than 60. Over that span, they averaged an RA9-WAR of 7.3. Between the ages of 33 – 36, those same relievers averaged an RA9-WAR of 4.0.

The danger is, of course, that O'Day puts up 2.5 of his eventual 4.0 wins next year when we aren't able to compete. But seeing as the goal is to compete next year, I think you have to take that for what it is.

I'd love to have Sipp, but do we really have a need for another reliever? We barely have any real prospects but our minor leagues are filled with back end of the bullpen relievers. It seems like an inefficient allocation of resources. Where are we going to get positive value out of our roster?

I would assume that Matusz or Britton would have to be traded at that point.

I'm not understanding this, since we appear to have a full pen now. Maybe there really are some discussions going on about trading Britton.

I'm positive the Orioles absolutely covet Sipp. He's the only available lefty RP that gets righties out. All the signs point to them wanting him. And in the last 2 years, since he's added/revamped/increased usage of his changeup, he's actually been very good.

Even then, I don't want Sipp unless we move Matusz and/or Britton. Even in the last two years, Sipp's been only a 1WAR type, so he's almost certainly going to be overpaid. Plus, now with O'Day, our pen is deep enough that the marginal value of adding new relievers starts to take a hit.

Archived