Machado - how long should the O's wait to offer him the $$

Todd-O

Agree. He's a 250-300 million dollar player. The Orioles simply cannot do that.

O's could buy out his arb years and 3 years of free agency. $3M, $10M, $13M, $25M, $25M, $25M = $101M. O's get to keep Manny for a couple of extra years. Manny is guaranteed to make enough money to take care of himself for life while also keeping the option of hitting free agency for a monster contract in the $200M range. Would he really say no to a contract with 8 zeroes guaranteed when there is the possibility that one knee injury could have him out of baseball with nothing?

Even Trout got "only" $144M for his extension. He will end up making $300M-$400M, just not all at once.

O's could buy out his arb years and 3 years of free agency. $3M, $10M, $13M, $25M, $25M, $25M = $101M. O's get to keep Manny for a couple of extra years. Manny is guaranteed to make enough money to take care of himself for life while also keeping the option of hitting free agency for a monster contract in the $200M range. Would he really say no to a contract with 8 zeroes guaranteed when there is the possibility that one knee injury could have him out of baseball with nothing?

Even Trout got "only" $144M for his extension. He will end up making $300M-$400M, just not all at once.

I think Manny would push for more than that in the arb years. He's projected to earn $5.9 mm this year.

Mo Money Mo Problems...sometimes you just need to let go.

Yeah, and this isn't one of those times. Per fangraphs, Manny was worth $46 mm in 2013 and $54 mm last year at free agent prices. At age 23, if you can sign him up for some extra prime years at $25-30 mm per, that's an incredible bargain.

Scott Boras will not allow the O's to make long term contract before he is a free agent. He probably wants $300 mil when he is a free agent, Th e O's need

to trade Manny when he is 2 years from being a free agent. As we all heard how difficult Scott Boras was on Chris Davis, how does anyone think we have a chance to

sign Manny, we seen how Boras to negotiate Chris Davis. We should not sign any Boras clients. Spend money to get the best scouts and coaches to work well with pitchers / hittiers

Scott Boras will not allow the O's to make long term contract before he is a free agent. I problaly want $300 mil when he is a free agent, Th e O's need

to trade Manny when he is 2 years from being a free agent. As we all heard how difficult Scott Boras was on Chris Davis, how does anyone think we have a chance to

to Chris Davis. We should not sign any Boras clients. Spend money to get the best scouts and coaches to work well with pitchers / hitting.

Boras does not represent Manny. Next argument...

Scott Boras will not allow the O's to make long term contract before he is a free agent. I problaly want $300 mil when he is a free agent, Th e O's need

to Chris Davis. We should not sign any Boras clients. Spend money to get the best scouts and coaches to work well with pitchers / hitting.

Boras is not Manny's agent.

If Dan Lazano can't get $250M for Machado he won't extend. He's money hungry too as an agent. He did the A Rod deal and Pujols one. Manny won't be easy.

None of the agents who represent top players are easy. I'm not sure how many years Manny wants. In the first half of the 2015 season, I had proposed 10/$231 mm. I think he'd take it, but who knows?

Scott Boras will not allow the O's to make long term contract before he is a free agent. He probably wants $300 mil when he is a free agent, Th e O's need

sign Manny, we seen how Boras to negotiate Chris Davis. We should not sign any Boras clients. Spend money to get the best scouts and coaches to work well with pitchers / hittiers

Manny is not a Boras client. A-Rod does not like Boras.

If healthy at FA time Manny and/or Harper could become the first 40 M players. I would offer Manny 10/300 M with an opt out at year 5. 45M to cover his arb years and 35 M for the next two, the remaining 5 at 37 M

I kind of like the opt out - keeps Manny around awhile for sure, and if the market bares out, someone else can overpay his later years. I hope, if Davis is clearly done in Baltimore, the O's get to work on a Manny extension. Well, after we get our spring training roster set.

-Don

Archived