Let's get Upton AND Gordon

connja

Both high OBP, good defenders, power and mix of youth. It's a hedge also in case one of them doesn't do well longer term. What an OF that would be when paired with Jones.

I'd be all about it if this team could support upwards of a 200 million dollar payroll. But it's not gonna happen. Both guys are going to get something in the neighborhood of 20 million dollar AAV contracts. That's without even addressing our rotation.

On MASN, Jim Duquette and Viviano were adamant that Upton was NOT a good defender. Can't say I've paid much attention to his defensive skills, so what's the story?
UZR doesn't like him. DRS says he's OK and TZ says he's good some years and meh others in LF.

My preference would be for Span and Kazimir.

The Cards are going to sign Gordon. They just got left at the altar by Heyward and are going to shove all that money they would have offered Heyward into someone else's face. Probably Gordon's.

Upton is a righty which this team already has a glut of, and would be much more expensive than Span. This team still needs pitching and OBP more than it needs more damn offensive power.

We have a first baseman in Trumbo at least for another year. No, it's not what we want long term but the bloke can play the position and swat a few homers now and then. Ok. There's more outfielders than first basemen left on the market and corner OF is still a huge hole. So we should go after that.

Span's OBP and speed is desperately needed now. I understand the injury risk but it's worth it to get something this lineup doesn't have at all -- speed and on-base percentage.

Kazimir -- no need to give up a pick and he is a solid pitching option to replace Chen. Would fit in perfectly with the rotation. Maybe he can give us more innings than Chen did to rest the bullpen.

The Cards are going to sign Gordon. They just got left at the altar by Heyward and are going to shove all that money they would have offered Heyward into someone else's face. Probably Gordon's.

Upton is a righty which this team already has a glut of, and would be much more expensive than Span. This team still needs pitching and OBP more than it needs more damn offensive power.

We have a first baseman in Trumbo at least for another year. No, it's not what we want long term but the bloke can play the position and swat a few homers now and then. Ok. There's more outfielders than first basemen left on the market and corner OF is still a huge hole. So we should go after that.

Span's OBP and speed is desperately needed now. I understand the injury risk but it's worth it to get something this lineup doesn't have at all -- speed and on-base percentage.

Kazimir -- no need to give up a pick and he is a solid pitching option to replace Chen. Would fit in perfectly with the rotation. Maybe he can give us more innings than Chen did to rest the bullpen.

Do you have the patience to wait until February or March when Span will be able to take a physical? Do you have the confidence that at that time we will be able to outbid any other interested teams with few, if any, other options left unsigned? I'm not ready to bank on Span.

Do you have the patience to wait until February or March when Span will be able to take a physical? Do you have the confidence that at that time we will be able to outbid any other interested teams with few, if any, other options left unsigned? I'm not ready to bank on Span.

Then sign Kazimir now and look for a left handed batter with the money left over, preferably one that can provide more OBP. I could even live with Parra, Kazimir, and Pedro Alvarez if it came down to it.

Yes to Span, but I would prefer to talk Mark Buehrle out of retiring before going after Kazmir. Kazmir is a more pronounced flyball pitcher and not as reliable. I think with Buehrle we could be pretty certain to get around 200 innings of 3.5 - 4.2 era. I would also sign Kim and Morneau to round out the team.

Yes to Span, but I would prefer to talk Mark Buehrle out of retiring before going after Kazmir. Kazmir is a more pronounced flyball pitcher and not as reliable. I think with Buehrle we could be pretty certain to get around 200 innings of 3.5 - 4.2 era. I would also sign Kim and Morneau to round out the team.

Now that's more like a typical Orioles offseason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived