Davis' Mystery Team is ....Nationals? Tigers?

weams

If you make an initial offer and the other side counter offers and you stand firm and eventually the other side acquiesces to your initial deal you have absolutely won the negotiation. This coming from someone who was a professional negotiator for 30+ years.

We are arguing semantics, in my book. From your standpoint, judging what initial offer to make is not part of the negotiation. From RZNJ's standpoint, it is. Either way, if Angelos misjudged where to start the negotiation, that is not a good thing. We'll see where Cespedes and Upton wind up, and then we will have a better sense.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The negotiation started and will end at 154. Mr Angelos will get the player he wants on the terms he proposed not 200 million.
I agree. PA gets what he wants at his price. He's rich. It's not what CD is worth, it's what he's worth to PA. That's 150 M. Boras wanted 200 M. To me CD is worth about 5/90M but it's not my money.

I agree. PA gets what he wants at his price. He's rich. It's not what CD is worth, it's what he's worth to PA. That's 150 M. Boras wanted 200 M. To me CD is worth about 5/90M but it's not my money.

Not mine either, obvi, and no comment on the negotiation question - except to say that sometimes a negotiator mis-forecasts the market but is lucky anyway. If CD signs elsewhere for less than 7/154 that'll be the case here.

Not mine either, obvi, and no comment on the negotiation question - except to say that sometimes a negotiator mis-forecasts the market but is lucky anyway. If CD signs elsewhere for less than 7/154 that'll be the case here.
If you are a GM it's not your money. So you try to get the best deal in terms of the market. But PA is not a GM, he's a rich guy, it's his money, and he is trying to get something he really wants for what he feels he can afford.

Actually, it is your money. It's the money of all the fans who support the team in one way or another. PA is using your money on CD and then let his GM know that he an't sign this guy or that guy because it's over his budget. Each contract has an affect on this year's budget and future years budgets. To act like you don't care when the owner makes a poor decision is ignorant of reality.
Unless you have access to the books you don't know who's money it is. In that sense you would be ignorant of reality.

Welp. This offseason has officially jumped the shark. There's literally nothing left to talk about.

38 days until pitchers and catchers report. We could be twiddling our thumbs for a while.

I should point out, it's not just the Davis negotiation that is going slow, and it's not just the Orioles. Everything in baseball is going at a snail's pace right now. I'm bored out of my mind. I check the board 20 times a day on the offchance that there has been some news, no matter how trivial, about any of the players who the Orioles are or should be interested in. Nothing, nada, zilch.

I guess I just dont understand the end game. Is it to compete for the WS? If so, why would they think only adding Davis is the way to go about that? Do they understand they need a starting pitcher? Jones and Machado are only here for a few more seasons, if we are going for it then why are we wasting their years here by not making a concerted effort to bring in more talent around them this offseason?

We are again half-stepping...one foot in the future one foot in the now, and it is again going to cost us in the long run. Dan has to see the success of teams like Houston, NY Mets, and the Cubs right? I mean they sold off players, and sucked hard for years while developing premier talent. The Phillies are doing it now, and in years to come they could be a force.

If we arent going for the WS this year, then why are we holding on to guys like Britton/ Machado/ Jones? We could absolutely get a haul for those guys.

I'm not advocating for one way or another, I just wish the Orioles would pick a direction and go with it. Either decide to bring in premier talent now and go for it, or bring in premier prospects for a future run.

81 wins does nothing to help you now, or in the future, it just keeps you stuck in purgatory

38 days until pitchers and catchers report. We could be twiddling our thumbs for a while.

I should point out, it's not just the Davis negotiation that is going slow, and it's not just the Orioles. Everything in baseball is going at a snail's pace right now. I'm bored out of my mind. I check the board 20 times a day on the offchance that there has been some news, no matter how trivial, about any of the players who the Orioles are or should be interested in. Nothing, nada, zilch.

It's watching grass grow, Boras' favorite pastime. "According to MLBTR’s Transactions Tracker, 69 Boras clients have signed free agent contracts since the 2008-09 offseason, and 29 of them have signed on or after January 14. I chose that date as it’s roughly a month before the opening of Spring Training camps, and while you could argue that Jan. 14 isn’t that late for major signings, consider that only nine contracts worth more than $30MM have been signed after that date during each of the last seven offseasons — and seven of those deals went to Boras Corporation clients." http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/scott-boras-the-waiting-game.html

Did PA misjudge the market or did DD? I would like to think that the money that was offered to him was not just a shot in the dark. Maybe CD is worth exactly that (I don't think so, but). Possibly Boras hasn't ever dealt with the best offer coming first. I hope he doesn't sign here, but just perhaps PA didn't want to get in a bidding situation and got advised that 150/7 might do it.

It's not about building a championship caliber team. It's about building a team that can compete and hopefully have the breaks fall their way. Angelos thinks he's a man of the people and he thinks he's doing the fans a favor by signing Davis.

I guess thats whats frustrating. I mean Seattle has misfired a ton, but at least they understood the current roster was getting them nowhere and tried to do something about it by shaking things up.

I guess I just dont understand the end game. Is it to compete for the WS? If so, why would they think only adding Davis is the way to go about that? Do they understand they need a starting pitcher? Jones and Machado are only here for a few more seasons, if we are going for it then why are we wasting their years here by not making a concerted effort to bring in more talent around them this offseason?

We are again half-stepping...one foot in the future one foot in the now, and it is again going to cost us in the long run. Dan has to see the success of teams like Houston, NY Mets, and the Cubs right? I mean they sold off players, and sucked hard for years while developing premier talent. The Phillies are doing it now, and in years to come they could be a force.

If we arent going for the WS this year, then why are we holding on to guys like Britton/ Machado/ Jones? We could absolutely get a haul for those guys.

I'm not advocating for one way or another, I just wish the Orioles would pick a direction and go with it. Either decide to bring in premier talent now and go for it, or bring in premier prospects for a future run.

81 wins does nothing to help you now, or in the future, it just keeps you stuck in purgatory

The truth is, very few teams go the Astros/Mets/Cubs route until they have no choice. It usually takes a couple years of losing before a team concludes they need a full rebuild. We are only a year removed from a 96-win season, still finished .500 last year, and I don't see management even considering a rebuild unless this season goes pretty badly (which could happen, but who knows).

The truth is, very few teams go the Astros/Mets/Cubs route until they have no choice. It usually takes a couple years of losing before a team concludes they need a full rebuild. We are only a year removed from a 96-win season, still finished .500 last year, and I don't see management even considering a rebuild unless this season goes pretty badly (which could happen, but who knows).

I agree it is a radical approach, but what direction are they going in currently? The "keep the team as is and hope for the better" approach? As for the 96 win season, we currently have 5 key players missing from that squad (Miller/ Cruz/ Chen/ Davis/ Markakis (Markakis is debatable but we didnt replace his production). I think any rationale GM can see that we do not currently have a 96 win team, nor did we last year going into the year.

RZ stole my thunder, was going to mention it seems to be the new trend to tear it down quickly...

I agree but it's curious that both the Braves and Reds have gone that way pretty quickly. Reds won 90 games and the Braves 96, in 2013. The Braves started the rebuild after the 2014 season when they won 79 games. The Reds appear to be going that route this year after 76 and 64 win seasons.

It is the rebuild plan de jour.

Archived