Davis' Mystery Team is ....Nationals? Tigers?

weams

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do that Nats know something we don't know about a PED suspension coming for Zimmerman?

I think what we have is much more in the category of speculation about Davis and the Nats. As to Zimmerman, how would they suspend him without a failed test? One would assume the Players Union would have a big issue there.

"The Boras - Nationals relationship is some thing that has been very important the last several years."

KR

Matt Vasgersian and Ken Rosenthal. Trade Geo Gonzalez, Sign Chen.

MLB Network just spitballing from the way I heard it. Ted Lerner is a Boras secret weapon.

Trying to trade Storen and Papelbon and sign a reliever.

Orioles have done very little.

"The reason for that is the Owner Peter Angelos is a big fan of Davis and does not want him to leave."

KR

Only John Smoltz talked about the "windows for the two teams" and how maybe D.C. would be a better place for Davis. Does not want Baltimore to do a rebuild. Says they have too good a core.

They never did get to the teaser about Davis to the Nationals. In any appreciable way.

"Sometimes players listen to their agents and hang in there. They might be better served to take control themselves."

JS

Let the Nats sign CD.

I think what we have is much more in the category of speculation about Davis and the Nats. As to Zimmerman, how would they suspend him without a failed test? One would assume the Players Union would have a big issue there.

There is precedence. Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta, and everyone in the Biogenesis scandal never failed a test and were all suspended.

Let the Nats sign CD.

I'm fine with that.

Better yet, my hope is the Orioles sign Upton ASAP and crash Crush's market.

How sweet would that be...if the Orioles took themselves out of contention for him??

I'd love to see Boras wiggle out of that. And maybe he would. But I don't see how.

The only thing about this angle is what would they do with Ryan Zimmerman, who was the first number one pick they had since moving to D.C. ? Do they put Harper in CF and Davis in RF?

They trade Zimm to an AL Club. I said at the start of the offseason that Davis would end up with the Nats. We will see. I hope it is the O's or the Nats. Regardless, frustrated at people making excuses for Davis, these players sign these sports agents, they have the control ultimately. It is just a cop out. Who cares if you make $150 Million or $170Million? Really? Life is so short, play where you want to play.

There is precedence. Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta, and everyone in the Biogenesis scandal never failed a test and were all suspended.

Jhonny failed a test. So did Raffy. Jennry Mejia ( Alex and Ortiz in the survey tests) Not too many other guys..

Peralta, fresh off his suspension which lasted from August 5th to September 25th for his first positive PED test, signed a 4-year, $52 million contract with the St. Louis Cardinals.

http://nyulocal.com/national/2013/12/02/you-shouldnt-be-outraged-over-jhonny-peraltas-new-contract/

Jhonny failed a test. So did Raffy. Jennry Mejia ( Alex and Ortiz in the survey tests) Not too many other guys..

http://nyulocal.com/national/2013/12/02/you-shouldnt-be-outraged-over-jhonny-peraltas-new-contract/

I'm almost certain none of the Biogenesis guys failed a test, Peralta included.

For Peralta, Monday's announcement adds to a season of intrigue that began with an early-February Sports Illustrated report stating that his name appeared in records from Biogenesis. No substances were reportedly listed alongside Peralta's name in the records, and the Miami New Times omitted his name from its initial report on the clinic and its records. Peralta had worked out in South Florida at times over the past couple of years, and he was planning on making his offseason home there, but little more was known.

Peralta's 50-game suspension fits that of a first-time offender under MLB's Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. A positive test is not required for suspension under terms of the program negotiated between MLB and the Players Association.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/55963420/

They trade Zimm to an AL Club. I said at the start of the offseason that Davis would end up with the Nats. We will see. I hope it is the O's or the Nats. Regardless, frustrated at people making excuses for Davis, these players sign these sports agents, they have the control ultimately. It is just a cop out. Who cares if you make $150 Million or $170Million? Really? Life is so short, play where you want to play.

Yeah, they could trade him, but it would be like the Red Sox trading Nose-mar Garciaparra back in the day. Zimmerman is a sentimental fan favorite. Davis has control, believe it.

I'll say again that's bull. Davis has a choice to accept whatever reasonable offer the Orioles give him if he really wants to stay. The decision to do so is "in his hands." The only thing that is "out of his hands" is if the Orioles' offer is the highest one.

Chris , do us a favor and spare us how tough it was for you to leave, but it was a family decision made by a guy who already made over $26M in his career. Don't equate it to putting food on the table for your family when salaries in entertainment and sports are so absurd when compared to other jobs. Your grandkids will be set for life whether you sign a guaranteed contract for $120M or $150M.

Putting that into perspective, Maryland has the highest average household income in the entire country at about $70,000. A rookie making ML minimum makes over 7X that amount. This year, Davis made $12M or 171X the average household in Maryland.

Chris, the bottom line is if you leave, it's because you decided to go for the highest bidder. That's it. You make the final decision which contract to sign and not Scott Boras. I don't expect that you will take less to play for Baltimore, but the decision is not entirely "out of your hands."

Both Davis and Boras know that Davis can't afford to take a one year deal if they have a 100m+ deal they can sign. Davis could easily have another year like 2014 and that means he just gets older and will command less on the market. Now is the time for Davis to take the best deal he can get.

Boras is probably trying to convince the Yankees and Red Sox that signing Davis a year before Tex, Beltran and Ortiz come off the books in a better plan than waiting.

Both Davis and Boras know that Davis can't afford to take a one year deal if they have a 100m+ deal they can sign. Davis could easily have another year like 2014 and that means he just gets older and will command less on the market. Now is the time for Davis to take the best deal he can get.

Boras is probably trying to convince the Yankees and Red Sox that signing Davis a year before Tex, Beltran and Ortiz come off the books in a better plan than waiting.

The odds that Davis will be as good in 2016 as he was in 2015 are probably 25% or less. So why take a one-year deal when there is a very high chance that your value is going to go down? The only way that would make sense is if he got an astronomical salary for 2016 (say, $30 mm +), and I haven't seen any precedent for that happening.

The odds that Davis will be as good in 2016 as he was in 2015 are probably 25% or less. So why take a one-year deal when there is a very high chance that your value is going to go down? The only way that would make sense is if he got an astronomical salary for 2016 (say, $30 mm +), and I haven't seen any precedent for that happening.

Even then it makes no sense. He'll be older and probably coming off a worse season, and he'll be accepting the risk of getting hurt, suspended or just playing like it's 2014 in 2016. The only way he's taking (even a huge) one-year deal would be if he/Boras value saving face over cold, hard cash.

It's easy for us to see it this way but the player isn't going to be that objective. If he was he would probably do worse. He has to believe he will do better. And certainly his agent isn't going to tell him this.

Archived