Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Just like I said about Cruz last year. 29 teams did not want him.

I'm disgusted and I really shouldn't be because this is pretty much what I said would happen anyways. No way Boras was gonna take less from us to sign after we offered 154. I'll hold out hope Angelos suddenly decided to seriously bump up payroll and this is just the first of a few moves. But I don't exactly have "high" hopes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He should have put his money in a different bank account.

No one is complaining that he spent, it is who he spent on.

Angelos has never been cheap, not really, but the team under his ownership does have a history of not spending intelligently.

Do you think when it comes time to spend the money on Machado, Angelos will let him walk?

Honestly?

I don't think Machado will give him a choice.

Just my opinion but I don't think the O's have a chance to keep him.

I believe that Manny would never sign an extension now that his knees are healthy. His competition for money is with his boys, Mike and Bryce.

Yes but the bid against themselves. How stupid. 154 million to giving CD 161

million. Cespedes would have been a much better deal. Cheaper deal leaving the

O's some money for pitching. This is just goofy. IMO

There were conflicting reports a month ago that the offer was raised to as high as $168M. They were denied but who really knows? Rosenthal said yes, Olney no. Maybe the deal doesn't work out, and I'm not sure I'd have made the first offer, but if you choose to believe the initial offer was bumped to $161M or $168 a month ago, it could be spun that the O's stuck to their guns and waited CD out, finished it off with an offer to Cespedes and comments by Buck, and got him for what they wanted back then or less.

We've been conditioned to expect the worst from PA most times but this theory is more in line with history.

Let's see... So the Orioles have spent 1/16 on a catcher they didn't need, 4/31 on a set-up guy and 7/161 on a better slugging 1B than the slugging 1B they already paid 1/9 for.

Thank God the rotation and OF corners were already rock solid, otherwise I wouldn't get this offseason at all.

Thread winner!

Archived