Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember Frobby and I having a spirited debate in June about what Davis would be signed for. I was 30% or more higher than Frobby and I was low by a lot. LOL. Not a shot at him. Just amazing how quickly things changed.

Yep, no doubt. I think Davis' OPS was .767 at the time. His second half probably earned him $60 mm or more over the long run.

Scott Boras is a wizard.

I'm speechless. I don't understand how he got MORE after all this buffoonery. It's history repeating itself with the Fielder contract where the Tigers bid up against themselves.

Davis isn't a fat out of shape rotund piece of flubber. He's not Fielder. People need to get over the whole Davis is just waiting to breadown thing.

What if Angelos just loves CD and we're still in the market for Cespedes? Let's wait until Spring Training before we all throw a hissy fit about other positions that needed addressing. I'm concerned too, but it's speculation that we are completely done with signings.

If they still sign Cespedes I will be shocked. Be wondering what has become of

Mr. Angelos? I wish the FO would still sign Cespedes but I just don't see it.

I refuse to be remotely upset about this deal. Am I surprised we increased our offer? Yes. Am I concerned that it will all be a waste if we don't significantly improve SP? Yes. But as someone who has disliked Angelos a LOT over the years, I have to give it to him for opening up the checkbook here, since apparently that was what was needed. Thanks Uncle Pete. Now go finish the job.

If they still sign Cespedes I will be shocked. Be wondering what has become of

Mr. Angelos? I wish the FO would still sign Cespedes but I just don't see it.

They have to find a No 3 starting pitcher first surely, an innings eater at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis is not anything like Howard. Davis is much more athletic than Howard ever was. Should age way better.

There are a lot of warning signs that Davis may not age too well. But that's a worry for the future. I don't like this deal in the long run. In the short run, I intend to enjoy the rest of Davis' prime years.

There are a lot of warning signs that Davis may not age too well. But that's a worry for the future. I don't like this deal in the long run. In the short run, I intend to enjoy the rest of Davis' prime years.

My heart won't be in it after Buck leaves for a while anyway.

This deal represents that we are dedicated to winning over the next three or so years, before current contracts for Jones and Manny expire. We have the core to compete, I believe, but all the pressure is on our young arms.

It is clear we are not going to seek to acquire top flight pitchers, so it's incumbent on our farm system to produce some quality arms. This is obvious, but you could make an argument that this is more a deal for next year than this year. There is little chance we get significant contributions from a guy like Bundy or Harvey this year, but if (giant if) they stay healthy this year, you could see Bundy in the rotation in 2017 and a chance for Harvey. That, I think, may really be our window. Additionally, you've got some possible contributors in the rotation like Lee, Gunkel, Wright, Wilson, etc, as possible backend guys. We've thinned out our SP prospects with some ill advised trades of late, but we still have a few guys with promise.

It's clearly all on the ability to grow the arms at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think the odds are that after 2 monster years in the last 4, he has just one more in him over the next 7?

Agreed. The long loopy swing does not typically age well. Think Adam Dunn. Think Derrek Lee.

If we can get three years of .900ish OPS and two years of .800ish OPS before he falls apart I will be happy. Unfortunately I think Davis is capable of turning back into 2014 form at any time.

Davis isn't a fat out of shape rotund piece of flubber. He's not Fielder. People need to get over the whole Davis is just waiting to breadown thing.

I mean that Prince Fielder had 1 team interested in him as we neared the end of the offseason. And the Tigers bid against themselves to INCREASE their bid even though there were no other offers. I wasn't comparing Chris Davis to Prince Fielder as players.

Archived