Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Offensively they are not solid! It's one dimensional and pitchers know that they don't need to throw strikes! Like I said before, the total runs stat is misleading (a lot of stats are). I agree that Trumbo is an upgrade at DH but he is another high strikeout guy on a team with collectively poor plate discipline. I don't hate the move considering that they had a hole at DH, but the downside is that it compounds the poor plate discipline problem that the team already has. The Orioles do not have the starting pitching to keep the team afloat when the boom or bust offense goes through a stretch where they score something like 20 runs in 10 games (like they did with relative frequency last year).

I do agree with that Schoop should continue to get better. I am a big fan of Schoop and hopefully he stays healthy b/c he has a ton of upside. I just worry that Wieters will be batting higher in the order than he should because he is one of the few lefties on the team.

...and if Reimold is still on the roster that illustrates the problem

Jones may be a free swinger, but he can also hit most pitches he swings at out of the park. Also, even the guy with the worst plate discipline in MLB can learn not to swing if pitchers are showing a pattern. Jones usually lays off the terrible pitches (slurve in the dirt with 2 strikes notwithstanding.) And I think we can both agree that Davis' problem is more with contact, rather than with discipline.

Pitchers can't sit on the weaknesses of good MLB hitters. If they could, then they wouldn't be good MLB hitters. Jones is a good hitter, and while we all wish he had better plate discipline, the fact that they don't try and exploit this weakness with a diet of breaking balls 6 inches off the plate is a good indication that Jones could (and would) punish this strategy.

Offensively they are not solid! It's one dimensional and pitchers know that they don't need to throw strikes! Like I said before, the total runs stat is misleading (a lot of stats are). I agree that Trumbo is an upgrade at DH but he is another high strikeout guy on a team with collectively poor plate discipline. I don't hate the move considering that they had a hole at DH, but the downside is that it compounds the poor plate discipline problem that the team already has. The Orioles do not have the starting pitching to keep the team afloat when the boom or bust offense goes through a stretch where they score something like 20 runs in 10 games (like they did with relative frequency last year).

I do agree with that Schoop should continue to get better. I am a big fan of Schoop and hopefully he stays healthy b/c he has a ton of upside. I just worry that Wieters will be batting higher in the order than he should because he is one of the few lefties on the team.

...and if Reimold is still on the roster that illustrates the problem

I don't think the total runs stat is very misleading, except to the extent it is not park-adjusted. I have addressed the point about "boom or bust" in several prior posts, giving statistical details -- the gist is, the Orioles are not particularly prone to "boom or bust," and their distribution of run outcomes is just about what you'd expect from a team with the same number of runs.

That said, I don't disagree that it would be nice to have a couple of high OBP guys on this team to set the table for the HR hitters.

As to Reimold, we will see if he makes the team, but he is a pretty decent hitter when healthy IMO.

Jones may be a free swinger, but he can also hit most pitches he swings at out of the park. Also, even the guy with the worst plate discipline in MLB can learn not to swing if pitchers are showing a pattern. Jones usually lays off the terrible pitches (slurve in the dirt with 2 strikes notwithstanding.) And I think we can both agree that Davis' problem is more with contact, rather than with discipline.

Pitchers can't sit on the weaknesses of good MLB hitters. If they could, then they wouldn't be good MLB hitters. Jones is a good hitter, and while we all wish he had better plate discipline, the fact that they don't try and exploit this weakness with a diet of breaking balls 6 inches off the plate is a good indication that Jones could (and would) punish this strategy.

I think it's been discussed at length before, but Jones's seeming inability to lay off some of those pitches outside of the strike zone is certainly frustrating at times, but it's the difference between him being a really really good/AS caliber player (which he is) and a pretty clear HoF'er (if he were hitting something like .285/.355/.545 on an annual basis), so it's hard to be upset about it or use it as a reason to call the guy a bum. We all wish he were better in that regard, but it is who he is, and who knows... better discipline in that regard could have a negative impact on his power or something else in his game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Union assigns present-day value of $147.7M to Chris Davis’ seven-year, $161M contract with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>. Impact of deferred money.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">January 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Union assigns present-day value of $147.7M to Chris Davis’ seven-year, $161M contract with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>. Impact of deferred money.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">January 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, there we go!

Chris Davis is not even in the top 10 2016 players for the AL East.

Post Arb players, I'd say he's up there. If you want to include all players, then I'll consider DD a magician for paying Machado, Schoop, and Gausman roughly 6M combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived