The AL East Moves So Far -- who has improved?

Frobby

I used some discretion in listing players added and subtracted, to exclude players who were marginal in terms of playing time in 2015. Obviously, the offseason isn't over yet and more players will be added by many teams. But to date, here's where it stands. Who do you think is most improved or has lost the most?

Baltimore (81-81, 713 RS, 693 RA)

Added: Mark Trumbo, Hyun Soo Kim, Vance Worley

Lost: Wei-Yin Chen, Steve Pearce, Gerardo Parra, Steve Clevenger, David Lough

Boston (78-84, 748 RS, 753 RA)

Added: David Price, Craig Kimbrell, Chris Young, Carson Smith, Roenis Elias

Lost: Wade Miley, Mike Napoli, Shane Victorino, Jonathon Aro, Craig Breslow, Rich Hill

New York (87-75, 764 RS, 698 RA)

Added: Aroldis Chapman, Starling Castro, Aaron Hicks, Kirby Yates

Lost: Adam Warren, Justin Wilson, John Ryan Murphy, Brendan Ryan, Chris Capuano, Chris Young, Stephen Drew, Sergio Sanchez

Tampa (80-82, 644 RS, 642 RA)

Added: Chase Whitley, Hank Conger, Logan Morrison, Danny Farquhar, Brad Miller, Steve Pearce

Lost: Asdubral Cabrera, John Jaso, Grady Sizemore, J.P. Arencibia, Nate Karns, CJ Riefenhauser

Toronto (93-69, 891 RS, 670 RA)

Added: J.A. Happ, Jesse Chavez, Drew Storen, Arnold Leon, Darwin Barney

Lost: David Price, Liam Hendricks, Ben Revere, Mark Buehrle, Dioner Navarro, Munenari Kawasaki, Cliff Pennington, Jeff Francis

If I've omitted anyone important, let me know and I will correct it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say BO has improved the Most adding Price and Kimbrell. TOR hasn't replaced Price with Happ and Estrada and their SP is sketchy IMO. MFY upgraded pen to compensate for their sketchy SP.

The one thing Toronto has going for it is the return of Marcus Strohman. Remember, Price was only on the Jays for two months, and Strohman pitched less than one month. So, arguably 6 months of Strohman > 2 months of Price and 1 month of Strohman.

The Red Sox have made up the most ground. There bullpen ERA was 4.24.

They got Carson Smith, who is dominate.

They got Craig Kimbrell

Their great young outfield is a year older and should improve

Panda can't be as bad as 2015

Hanley MIGHT stay healthy

Joe Kelly and Blake Swihart had solid 2nd halves, that they should build on

Oh and price doesn't hurt either.

Worst to first is tough, but it would not surprise me.

o

Right now, I think that the Orioles are a wildcard as they currently stand in regard to this subject.

On paper, they have essentially remained the same as 2014 by bringing back Davis and O'Day.

But ......... if either Chris Tillman and/or Miguel Gonzalez return to their 2012-2014 form(s), then the Orioles will have improved.

Again, that is the big wildcard in all of this for the O's. Obviously, adding another solid starting pitcher between now and April 4th would make them unquestionably better over last season (at least on paper.)

Adam Warren and Justin Wilson are underrated losses for NYY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree! I think the Yankees' bullpen improved, but I'm not sure it was by as much as most think when they look at their big three relievers. I also think the offense in New York will regress even with Castro over Drew at 2B. A-Rod's second half wasn't nearly as good as the first and the rest of the bunch are older. I think New York could do well, but they've got the most questions if you ask me. Of course, their questions have the possibility of being answered very favorably, too, but still it's rare that you get good answers to that many questions.

Agree! I think the Yankees' bullpen improved, but I'm not sure it was by as much as most think when they look at their big three relievers. I also think the offense in New York will regress even with Castro over Drew at 2B. A-Rod's second half wasn't nearly as good as the first and the rest of the bunch are older. I think New York could do well, but they've got the most questions if you ask me. Of course, their questions have the possibility of being answered very favorably, too, but still it's rare that you get good answers to that many questions.

Chapman is great, no doubt. He'll give 65ish outstanding innings if his arm doesn't fall off. They lost 190+ innings from versatile guys with ERA+ of 120 or greater.

Who's picking up those 130 innings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price's ERA was under 2 in every AL East stadium last year....4-1 versus NY

The Orioles can hit Price.

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+

Baltimore Orioles 19 504 467 39 114 22 2 7 2 4 34 120 3.53 .244 .294 .345 .638 161 9 0 0 3 0 4 .312 9

The Orioles can hit Price.

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+

Baltimore Orioles 19 504 467 39 114 22 2 7 2 4 34 120 3.53 .244 .294 .345 .638 161 9 0 0 3 0 4 .312 9

Pearce always seemed to do well against him. I think we're good against LHP considering right now only Davis would play vs LHP.

Archived