The AL East Moves So Far -- who has improved?

Frobby

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And obviously part of DD's and Buck's job is convincing Mr. Angelos to let them do some smart things within the organizations constraints.

I don't think the Angelos family is involved other than big free agent contracts. Otherwise, they would have permitted Dan to replace the turf with sod in Toronto.

I don't think the Angelos family is involved other than big free agent contracts. Otherwise, they would have permitted Dan to replace the turf with sod in Toronto.

Obviously, Boras was dealing with Peter on the Davis contract, not that unusual considering the big amount.

I don't Peter was actively engaged on the other deals.

Not trying to pound on DD, but DD has done a pretty poor job almost every year of addressing needs that he publicly identifies at the beginning of the FA period. I guess this year DD just can't say the O's don't want to give up their pick, don't want to pay for a premier arm, and can't afford to make any more trades after the deals DD made the past few years, and therefore have no real strategy other than waiting to see if they can get lucky and grab someone who falls through the cracks and into the O's lap.

Actually, after thinking about it DD has pretty said all three of these things.

On July 29 they were 44-58; they closed 34-26 from there. Actually, they got to 78-80, then lost their final four games. They actually passed us for a day or two, but we won our final six.

One reason why I'm handicapping them as the division champs for now.

One reason why I'm handicapping them as the division champs for now.

I've picked them for second, only because the Jays' run scoring margin was so huge last year (+220 or so) that they could falter quite a bit and still outscore their opponents by 120-150 runs.

I've picked them for second, only because the Jays' run scoring margin was so huge last year (+220 or so) that they could falter quite a bit and still outscore their opponents by 120-150 runs.

Toronto, interestingly, will be sort of in the same situation next off season that the Orioles are in this off season. They've got $50-ish million coming off the books but on the other hand will need to deal with Bautista, Encarnacion, Dickey, Storen, Smoak, Cecil and Saunders.

Toronto, interestingly, will be sort of in the same situation next off season that the Orioles are in this off season. They've got $50-ish million coming off the books but on the other hand will need to deal with Bautista, Encarnacion, Dickey, Storen, Smoak, Cecil and Saunders.

You would think Bautista and Encarnacion will be going into decline soon as they get into their mid-30's. They haven't showed much sign of slowing down though.

Archived