Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was irresponsible for the O's not to add a starter, but Vance Worley is basically Miguel Gonzalez, and has the best chance at wrapping up the fifth spot. I like Mike Wright but he's so inconsistent he can't be relied on every fifth day. Worley's no prize though.

I was also looking at pitch arsenals for our players and Worley best matches to Tillman, except Worley has a cutter while Tillman uses a curve and change. Maybe if Worley and Tillman work together and Worley gets a better out pitch, he can improve. I'll have to revisit this post next year to see if they tried to work on that.

Does Alfredo Simon sound like a crazy idea? Fairly recent success but is was in the National League. Decent amount of starters innings.

The only time I watched last year was against us and he was pretty bad. Velocity was down, and he was throwing an Eephus as a regular pitch, on of which Davis crushed. He looked done to me, but I don't know enough about his injuries to rule out a comeback.

Does Alfredo Simon sound like a crazy idea? Fairly recent success but is was in the National League. Decent amount of starters innings.

Yes! I suggest this in another thread. Always thought Simon was underrated by most and he left here and showed us just that.

He is a great solution because he is probably affordable and can swing into the bullpen or spot start. He is a guy I would be targeting definitely.

I think Chris Jones is a good sleeper candidate. I'd still like to see another starter signed whether it's Latos or Fister or a trade (I really really want to see a trade for Alex Wood). Then I'd let Chris Jones, Bundy, Worley etc try and fight for Gonzalezs spot. I'd love even more to see one of Tillman and Jimenez traded to get the mediocre redundancy out of the rotation but I know I'm in the minority there.

FUnny, but I disagree. His splits have been improving each year, and he's still only 28 years old.

Ha, Just being silly. I am not a big Matusz fan honestly. In fact, I wouldn't have offered him a contract the past 2 years.

Not sure why we can't develop pitchers. When he first came up, he looked a staple in the rotation for a decade. Between him, and tinkering with Gausman and Bundy this organization needs to do some soul-searching with pitching development.

Archived