Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

Ha, Just being silly. I am not a big Matusz fan honestly. In fact, I wouldn't have offered him a contract the past 2 years.

Not sure why we can't develop pitchers. When he first came up, he looked a staple in the rotation for a decade. Between him, and tinkering with Gausman and Bundy this organization needs to do some soul-searching with pitching development.

I think Chris Lee or Ariel Miranda could contribute significantly before the season ends.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict we will be doing a lot of whining about our SP this year.

I hope I am wrong and that someone quotes this post in late September so I can humble myself exposing just how wrong I was.

I have little faith that Ubaldo is going to be the same Ubaldo we saw last year and not the guy that Buck will want to take for a walk in the parking lot to sprain his ankle again.

I have little faith that Miggy AND Tillman both have bounce back years. One or the other, I would be ok with. Counting on both to rebound though seems to be tempting fate. Add in counting on a 5th man from the myriad of ho hum guys we are looking at.....forget it.

I have faith that KG can be a very good pitcher. I am just not convinced that he is ready to be the guy he would have to be in order to anchor this staff behind him. I expect him to improve but expecting him to be a #1 rock from where he ended last year is a bit much IMO. 44

Individually there are a lot of things with the SP that I could see happening in a beneficial way. Looking at it in total though, I think its unlikely that those things happen in enough volume to get this team much beyond .500 if at all. Lotta wishful thinking going on here when talking about the pitchers

And/or Tim "Wildcard" Lincecum, on the cheap:

Tim Lincecum Eyes February Showcase: Giants Seem a Dark Horse

(By John Shea)

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Tim-Lincecum-eyes-February-showcase-Giants-seem-6778187.php

"Dr. Marc Philippon shaved bone matter to relieve an impingement and repaired a torn labrum. After surgery, Philippon — who performed hip surgeries on Alex Rodriguez, Troy Tulowitzki and Warriors draftee Kevon Looney — said he expects Lincecum to pitch in the majors in 2016."

"MASN's Steve Melewski lists Mike Wright, Chris Jones, Tyler Wilson and Vance Worley as candidates to fill out the rotation if the Orioles don't add another starter.

Yovani Gallardo is the top starter available in free agency but he's tied to draft pick compensation and the Orioles are hesitant to give up the No. 14 overall pick. Doug Fister is also on the market but he's coming off an injury-plagued year in 2015. Wright would be the favorite for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation if the Orioles decide to stand pat. He won two of his first three starts last season but faded down the stretch by losing five of his last six decisions."

Source: MASN

I think Mike Wright is ready to be in the rotation. Tyler Wilson we will definitely see this year, kid has some nasty stuff. Worley is the sneaky vet that could be a sleeper for the O's.

My vote would be Mike Wright

I guess Wright but it kinda scares me if the thought the FO not adding a better

pitcher. Oh well I will have to leave it too DD. hopefully he will get someone.

And/or Tim "Wildcard" Lincecum, on the cheap:

Tim Lincecum Eyes February Showcase: Giants Seem a Dark Horse

(By John Shea)

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Tim-Lincecum-eyes-February-showcase-Giants-seem-6778187.php

That could be fun and interesting. Looking at his career numbers, it's crazy how much he has dropped in pretty much every meaningful stat, and pretty much the same proportional drop in every category.

Something sort of weird... according to BBRef similarity scores, his #2 comp is... Yovani Gallardo.

Matusz gets the nod over Arrieta this time in ST. Vance Worley is no Jake Arrieta. Otoh, maybe we are his Chicago Cubs and he wins the CYA next year after establishing himself this year.

As long as we're speculating....

Btw, none of the previous post is serious. With what's been presented as options in this thread they may as well flip a coin. ST competition between the in house candidates they have won't be worth much.

I'd prefer Latos, but maybe they think he's trouble. Hasn't stopped them with others though, and Latos hasn't committed a crime as far as I know.

All of the ideas in this thread just speaks volumes on how bad Duquette has whiffed. We are in deep trouble.

It's not DD but Angelos. That's what happens when the owner meddles and ties

the hands of the GM. We've seen this going on for years. IMO

Maybe Worley although I said Wright in an earlier post. I didnt realize he was

being paid 3 million.

Archived