Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

Excellent point and I read the other day we still employ the least amount of scouts, more work needs to be done.

I've heard the explanation that too many voices add to the confusion in analysis. Certainly on an MLB level. I think you could make a point for more voices being heard from an amateur level. All opinions are not equal. It might be that the Orioles think that buying better opinions going forward is a way to improve.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Developing our own core players.

1) traded Bedard (drafted 6 round)

2.) drafted Wieters, Machado, and Gausman

3.) signed Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez

Spending more doesn't guarantee better results but it sure gives you a better chance. Of course, you assume the Orioles are smarter than everyone else and have the perfect number of scouts, both domestically and internationally. You'd think the number was perfect whether it was 5 or 500.

I don't know how many scouts they do have. I had heard that it was fewer than the average. I am not aware of whether they spend more or less than equivalent smaller market teams.

Spending more doesn't guarantee better results but it sure gives you a better chance. Of course, you assume the Orioles are smarter than everyone else and have the perfect number of scouts, both domestically and internationally. You'd think the number was perfect whether it was 5 or 500.

I assume the shortfalls would be on the international side of the issue. Wouldn't you? I really know little about how intelegent the folks making these decisions right now are. I'd say that the last couple drafts have shown that they are not smarter than the average bear.

Only problem is that the last 4 years happened with top 5 overall draft picks. We haven't been getting them the last few years and we probably won't get one again this year and we punted the #14 pick this year for a sore armed pitcher.

I think the idea of drafting near the very top of the draft and spending accordingly would be a good method to better the system.

I wanted Jake gone....but only because it was clear as day that our coaching staff was holding him back (Adair, Buck, etc.). That said, trading him for someone like Scott Feldman was inane to me considering Feldman was largely awful prior to 2013...and he wasn't anything all that great otherwise.

I wanted Jake gone....but only because it was clear as day that our coaching staff was holding him back (Adair, Buck, etc.). That said, trading him for someone like Scott Feldman was inane to me considering Feldman was largely awful prior to 2013...and he wasn't anything all that great otherwise.

It's great to say that Jake was a talent held back and all. But the Orioles had been actively shopping him with no more interest than has been shown for Brian Matusz. The Cubs took a shot at Jake and Pedro. And won big. Pretty much any team could have had Jake for less than Feldman. They really were interested in trading Feldman's contract and getting some pieces back.

And? 16 year old's are tougher to evaluate than 18 year old's. Still, I'd rather take a chance on one or two of the top 16 year olds than wait to see what is left over. We did well with Peralta and Jomar Reyes. There is nothing from stopping the Orioles from looking for bargains like those two and still spending 3-5M on the 16 year olds. Nomar Mazar says high. And I know there are a lot more that don't make it but you could say the same about the American amateur draft where the bonuses are even higher at the top of the draft.

Yeah, I would assume it is much harder to evaluate children than almost men.

And? 16 year old's are tougher to evaluate than 18 year old's. Still, I'd rather take a chance on one or two of the top 16 year olds than wait to see what is left over. We did well with Peralta and Jomar Reyes. There is nothing from stopping the Orioles from looking for bargains like those two and still spending 3-5M on the 16 year olds. Nomar Mazar says high. And I know there are a lot more that don't make it but you could say the same about the American amateur draft where the bonuses are even higher at the top of the draft.

I have Mazar on my fantasy team. I evaluated him.

It's great to say that Jake was a talent held back and all. But the Orioles had been actively shopping him with no more interest than has been shown for Brian Matusz. The Cubs took a shot at Jake and Pedro. And won big. Pretty much any team could have had Jake for less than Feldman. They really were interested in trading Feldman's contract and getting some pieces back.

Isn't the bold pretty much a fact at this point? I'm not moved much by the idea that other teams showed less interest than the Cubs. The same front office that traded Jake also offered Britton for Ike Davis. Thankfully, Britton survived the Rick Adair era.

Sure, but Boston, Toronto, Texas, etc., etc., etc. are doing their best. We aren't participating. Somehow, I like their chances of getting top talent better than ours.

Most definitely. Certainly.

Archived