Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

Arrieta was never going to succeed in the O's organization. The tried to change his funky mechanics and wouldn't let him throw the cutter. They were in his head with too many micro managing cooks.

This is the problem I have with the Orioles. We continually draft top rated pitchers, that do not pan out. Why? Seems our guys

either break down and wash out or we change their deliveries not letting them be the player that we liked when we drafted them.

I think we tend to coddle our young guys. I keep hearing us saw well such and such is only 23 and he will develop.

Take a look at other teams, you will find they have kids younger than ours that are dominant. It is time we adjust how

we develop our young guys. What we are doing is not working. I truly believe if Gausman played for a team like The White Sox

He would be dominating the American league. We need to look at other organizations and figure out why there guys pan out and ours do not.

When was the last time we had a 1st round pitcher that became a true ace for us?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the problem I have with the Orioles. We continually draft top rated pitchers, that do not pan out. Why? Seems our guys

either break down and wash out or we change their deliveries not letting them be the player that we liked when we drafted them.

I think we tend to coddle our young guys. I keep hearing us saw well such and such is only 23 and he will develop.

Take a look at other teams, you will find they have kids younger than ours that are dominant. It is time we adjust how

we develop our young guys. What we are doing is not working. I truly believe if Gausman played for a team like The White Sox

He would be dominating the American league. We need to look at other organizations and figure out why there guys pan out and ours do not.

When was the last time we had a 1st round pitcher that became a true ace for us?

Jake Arrieta was a fifth rounder. 29 other teams passed on him four times. 29 other teams did not think he would be an Ace. Including the Cubs.

I wish the Orioles would have the guts to tell Buck to leave the pitchers alone. His approach to developing young starting pitching clearly doesn't work.

As long as the team wins and is not a 14 season losing club, I'm sure the Orioles are just fine with whatever Buck wants to do to pitchers.

Ok, easy pal. I wasn't questioning your parenting. However, the Orioles development has been questioned and you've done your fair share of it. I think it is at the very least "spin" to try and say the organizational reputation is fine (whatever that means) while admitting they've repeatedly missed on development.

I never questioned our development, I simply said that trading Arrieta was a terrible mistake. I don't disagree with those that say our development of pitching is sub standard. If it wasn't, we never would have been in the position of having to sign Gallardo. That and DD continually to trade young starters at the trade deadline for questionable rentals. We are suffering from that now at the major league level. Why am I so vehement about Arrieta? Because is was a terrible organizational mistake that needs to be corrected. Shrugging your shoulders and moving on doesn't prevent that mistake from happening again. We need to own it, acknowledge it and learn from our mistakes. Too many people give the O's a pass on this. I demand better from the organization. I don't demand perfection but I do believe that I have the right to demand better.

I never questioned our development, I simply said that trading Arrieta was a terrible mistake. I don't disagree with those that say our development of pitching is sub standard. If it wasn't, we never would have been in the position of having to sign Gallardo. That and DD continually to trade young starters at the trade deadline for questionable rentals. We are suffering from that now at the major league level. Why am I so vehement about Arrieta? Because is was a terrible organizational mistake that needs to be corrected. Shrugging your shoulders and moving on doesn't prevent that mistake from happening again. We need to own it, acknowledge it and learn from our mistakes. Too many people give the O's a pass on this. I demand better from the organization. I don't demand perfection but I do believe that I have the right to demand better.

What about Jake Arrieta or Jose Bautista, indicated that they would become what they did? Or Andrew Miller? Any team in the country could have had those players. Including the ones that do now several times before they got them. An asteroid hit the planet. All were lost.

We all do. Well, most of us do. Some of us?

Anyway, what struck me as odd was that clearly here you take a reasonable approach to the problem with Arrieta and the Orioles development in general. How then is their reputation in tact? Organizationally, I'd say their reputation is suspect because of things like development and signings of guys like Gallardo.

We all do. Well, most of us do. Some of us?

Anyway, what struck me as odd was that clearly here you take a reasonable approach to the problem with Arrieta and the Orioles development in general. How then is their reputation in tact? Organizationally, I'd say their reputation is suspect because of things like development and signings of guys like Gallardo.

Because all teams make mistakes and we have overcome ours to be a competitive team for four years running. Let me repeat what I posted a few hours ago. Baseball is a game of mistakes on all levels. The best teams own their mistakes and learn from them. That's what I'm very hopeful about for the Arrieta mess. The old saw is that you fail 7 out of ten times and have a good chance to make the hall of fame, right? GMs fail. Pitching coaches fail. Managers fail (see pitching Gallardo and then McFarland in the seventh with five inches of rain predicted for the next day). I hope the Orioles organization holds themselves accountable because we don't have enough money compared to our rivals to make these kind of mistakes.

What about Jake Arrieta or Jose Bautista, indicated that they would become what they did? Or Andrew Miller? Any team in the country could have had those players. Including the ones that do now several times before they got them. An asteroid hit the planet. All were lost.

No indications AT ALL. I firmly believe many other teams would have traded Jake as well. Yea it REALLY sucks that he is a top 3 pitcher right now, but no one, and I mean no one foresaw that

No indications AT ALL. I firmly believe many other teams would have traded Jake as well. Yea it REALLY sucks that he is a top 3 pitcher right now, but no one, and I mean no one foresaw that

I would say all those times where Jake was absolutely dominating for 3-4 innings before losing it was plenty of indication. He did it often enough to believe he had something special in that arm. Bautista is another story.

I would say all those times where Jake was absolutely dominating for 3-4 innings before losing it was plenty of indication. He did it often enough to believe he had something special in that arm. Bautista is another story.

I've just been thinking that maybe he would have ended up being our closer or a good reliever like Zach. I can't imagine him pulling it together here. He needed a reality check and a fresh environment.

It was pretty obvious to me that Arrieta had the potential to be a star. I have a suspicion, without knowing better, that it was between the ears for him.

There was a game I went to where Jered Weaver and Arrieta were trading no-hitters for 4 innings. In the 5th, Arrieta gave up a dinky base hit and just completely fell apart.

This seemed to be a regular occurrance with him.

Why did no one trade for him then? It was well known that he was available. I'll just have to disagree with your view.

It was pretty obvious to me that Arrieta had the potential to be a star. I have a suspicion, without knowing better, that it was between the ears for him.

There was a game I went to where Jered Weaver and Arrieta were trading no-hitters for 4 innings. In the 5th, Arrieta gave up a dinky base hit and just completely fell apart.

This seemed to be a regular occurrance with him.

I have no idea what was wrong with him, I just knew I did not trust him at all on a winning team. I wanted to win badly. Badly.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-jake-arrieta-deal-sullivan-baseball-spt-0424-20160423-column.html

Saw this article today and didn't see it shared anywhere else (Sorry if it was).

The information isn't anything new, really, but I did find it disheartening to hear about the conflict between Arrieta and Adair.

""I knew I got (to the majors) for a reason," Arrieta told Sports Illustrated during spring training, "and I was confused about why I was changing that. You feel everybody has your own best interests in mind, but you come to find out that's not necessarily the case.""

I'd imagine it had to be a really frustrating time for Arrieta in Baltimore. Personally, I don't look back on this trade the same way people look at other major lopsided trades (and maybe I am wrong for that), but it is important sometimes to consider nurturing your unique talents rather than trying to alter it into something else. I don't celebrate Arrieta's accomplishments or defeats. To be honest, my biggest memories of Arrieta, beside his struggles on the mound was some fights he had on Twitter with fans. I was disappointed in Baltimore fans harassing him, but I was also disappointed that he engaged back. Oh well. The Orioles have moved on to a positive trajectory post Arrieta and there is no reason to think we could have developed him if we were so adamant on changing him. Having a pitcher like him would be great now, but you don't get to make decisions knowing the future.

Archived