Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

Jake Arrieta was a fifth rounder. 29 other teams passed on him four times. 29 other teams did not think he would be an Ace. Including the Cubs.

I was not talking about Arrieta specifically. I am talking about all home grown pitchers. Arrieta was highly rated by BB America and was considered one of our best young pitching talents.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we have to pay a ton to get Arrieta to sign? Yeah, he was drafted later, but it's not as if he was a true 5th rounder that was just happy to get drafted.

He was also a highly ranked prospect once he was in our organization. So it's not as if nobody saw him being good at any point. He was clearly highly regarded at some point when he was with us.

Anybody arguing that, "well, nobody saw this coming based on his performance in the majors" is missing the point. Were the Orioles responsible for that performance based on the way we coached and handled him? You don't get to ruin someone's potential, and then when you get rid of him and he reaches that potential, hide behind the "who knew he could have lived up to his potential?" You didn't know because you sabotaged it, and that's the issue.

Didn't we have to pay a ton to get Arrieta to sign? Yeah' date=' he was drafted later, but it's not as if he was a true 5th rounder that was just happy to get drafted.

He was also a highly ranked prospect once he was in our organization. So it's not as if nobody saw him being good at any point. He was clearly highly regarded at some point when he was with us.

Anybody arguing that, "well, nobody saw this coming based on his performance in the majors" is missing the point. Were the Orioles responsible for that performance based on the way we coached and handled him? You don't get to ruin someone's potential, and then when you get rid of him and he reaches that potential, hide behind the "who knew he could have lived up to his potential?" You didn't know because you sabotaged it, and that's the issue.[/quote']

Sure he cost a million to sign but if any other team had a whiff he would turn out like he has they would have gone a lot higher than a 5th rd pick + 1M for his rights.

From what I remember reading at the time he was looked at as more of a second round talent.

Reading this, I don't get the feeling that the lower levels were the problem. Arrieta says he went back to what got him to the big leagues -- i.e., what he was doing in the minor leagues, presumably under the watch of our minor league coaches. Adair seems to have been the issue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-jake-arrieta-deal-sullivan-baseball-spt-0424-20160423-column.html

I cannot get off the idea we just have the WRONG guys in crucial spots in the organization. Sure I love Buck but I'd need serious convincing on the lower levels.

lol nice shout out to Adair. :rolleyestf:

This just shows us that Epstein is light years ahead of DD. He signed Feldman knowing he planned to flip him. We like to ignore pitching needs and then trade prospects in-season to meet such needs. It is an expensive and costly way to do business. I originally assumed we called them to initiate the trade. This article suggests that they "targeted" Arrieta. If they initiated it, then DD looks like a fool. Epstein even managed to get another flame-thrower added to the deal.

Thanks moderators for moving. I've played the long game before waiting for us to develop quality players. We've done very poor at large during those long 14 years. Though I've been thrilled worth our recent MLB success we must start turning more attention to our lower levels and their lack of success.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reading this, I don't get the feeling that the lower levels were the problem. Arrieta says he went back to what got him to the big leagues -- i.e., what he was doing in the minor leagues, presumably under the watch of our minor league coaches. Adair seems to have been the issue.

But will you argue our lower levels have been continually successful?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--free-from-o-s-purgatory--jake-arrieta-flourishing-with-cubs-031337718-mlb.html

Arrieta wanted to throw across his body, which the Cubs let him do. And he wanted to throw more fastballs, which the Cubs let him do. And he … are you sensing a pattern?

“He’s so confident now,” Britton said. “And it’s not the fake confidence. You know he’s comfortable in that organization.”

Instead of trying to make Arrieta into a cookie-cutter pitcher, the Cubs embraced allowing him to find what made him comfortable. They bought a Pilates machine because he loved it and installed into their new clubhouse a dance party room and now, after the no-hitter, he has a 0.87 ERA, 21 baserunners allowed in 31 innings and 26 strikeouts. If not for …

This just shows us that Epstein is light years ahead of DD. He signed Feldman knowing he planned to flip him. We like to ignore pitching needs and then trade prospects in-season to meet such needs. It is an expensive and costly way to do business. I originally assumed we called them to initiate the trade. This article suggests that they "targeted" Arrieta. If they initiated it, then DD looks like a fool. Epstein even managed to get another flame-thrower added to the deal.

They were a last place team at the time with no aspirations to be anything else.

That's pretty sad. Ask Tony to chime in as to what Arrieta looked like out of college in the locker room. He's a beast; always has been. And Guillen's son is a rich kid that wasn't very good at baseball but gets a platform because of his daddy. YAWN...

Archived