TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok. I think Dariel is today's Nick with 20 walks a season and 27-year-old Nick's range.

Might be. Stronger arm of course. He's got the young Vlad arm.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Throw a party - it’s getting closer.<br><br>4.3.16<a href="https://t.co/Cpam1NQp88">https://t.co/Cpam1NQp88</a></p>— MLB (@MLB) <a href="

">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hyun Soo Kim said he was nervous today. Was thinking too much at plate. Pitcher's movements. Affected his timing. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That makes sense. If you're coming over to MLB with things to prove, you'd be a little nervous too; regardless of the fact that it's ST.

I saw him live from behind home plate upstairs on all 3 AB's. I thought he wasn't overmatched. The ball jumped easily off his bat on a liner to center. His first AB he got down in the count quickly but was never fooled. He was able to foul pitches and looked to have a good eye in that SSS. He's a big dude that moves well for his size.

Great news. I make no complete judgements from seeing one at bat it just surprised me to see that. I am open to seeing what he has got.

You mean like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dd0i-M_aQSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet stroke.

Opposite field lift is impressive. Not to mention the bat flip.

Nice! I hadn't seen much of Kim's swing before, but I like what I see. I hated Ichiro's swing at first, but he turned out ok. Kim deinitely reminds me of that, but two things really stood out for me: zero leg kick, and he doesnt move his head much. Two great qualities in my book.

Fowler is history and making a move just to make a move rarely works. We'll just have to be patient and see if an opportunity comes along.[/quote

I am one of the few on here that like Alvarez, but I don't think he is ready. Reimold has been given more chances than my ex wife (Weaver).

I just can't wrap my head around the "go with what we have" approach. I think that is awful. I think any of Bruce, Alvarez or Jackson make this team better.

Alvarez is a AAAA IMO .....he won't hit .300 at the majors and his lack of patience will haunt him. He obviously couldn't figure out how to take a walk in the minors. Don't expect him to figure it out in the big leagues.

Alvarez isn't very good. I don't know why people think that just because you can throw a baseball well, that means you're a great baseball player. It's one individual skill. And he can't hit.

If they seriously stick with this disaster of a RF situation without any additions I don't think I can watch any games this year. It's too stressful to go through.

Where are you gleaming the factoid that Dariel Alvarez CAN NOT HIT from??? I certainly hope it is not the 12 Games at the MLB level. SUPER SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

Maybe it is the Minors and his .295/.323/.457/.781 slash line. If that is the case what slash line would he need to have to be considered able to Hit??

Alvarez isn't very good. I don't know why people think that just because you can throw a baseball well, that means you're a great baseball player. It's one individual skill. And he can't hit.

If they seriously stick with this disaster of a RF situation without any additions I don't think I can watch any games this year. It's too stressful to go through.

ZIPS wRC+ projections:

Dariel Alvarez: 92

Austin Jackson: 93

Nick Markakis: 97

Jay Bruce: 100

They're all within a fairly tight grouping, a bit below MLB average offense. It's hard for me to see the difference between one of these players being a make-or-break thing for the 2016 Orioles.

He has zero plate discipline and his on base percentage is carried almost entirely by his batting average, which in the majors will probably never get above .260. But hey, he throws really well so he's an all-star.

Then state that the player has no ability to get on base other than by hitting and be correct about it instead of saying "He Can't Hit". Semantics, YES but correct.

He has zero plate discipline and his on base percentage is carried almost entirely by his batting average, which in the majors will probably never get above .260. But hey, he throws really well so he's an all-star.

You'd do better without the repeated over-the-top exaggeration. Only in your mind does "potentially reasonable solution" equate to "insane characterization as an all-star".

Keep thinking he's an all-star, that prediction will work out real well for you. Can't wait for the .290 OBP he produces because for some reason the team thinks the current RF situation is fine and in no need of upgrade.

Who, when and where within any of this forum did anyone say he was an All-Star or even well above replacement level?? You tend to exaggerate to all extremes when you post. Why is that???

Archived