My plan to finish the off season

wildcard

You missed the point. Trade Trumbo at 9m. Sign Pedro Alvarez at 5m with one deferred. Now the O's have 5M more to sign a starter.

Which starter is worth the extra $5 mil to sign though? Everyone that is left except Gallardo and his attached pick should be under $10 mil.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been down on this off-season (again) but I guess I'm one of the few that like the Trumbo pickup. My one real 2014 lament is that we never had Cruz/Davis both going well at the same time. I really wanted to see that. I think we have a similar setup now. For one year, for $9M, I like it. Of course, I'd also still sign Alvarez and just create a lineup really full of thumpers, RF defense be damned. It's not the greatest idea but if we're not going to improve the rotation let's out-slug everyone. Now, that Wieters contract... :puke:

You missed the point. Trade Trumbo at 9m. Sign Pedro Alvarez at 5m with one deferred. Now the O's have 5M more to sign a starter.

I don't think Trumbo had a lot of suitors interested in him, besides the Orioles.

Just because you say trade, doesn't always mean there is a dance partner out there, willing to dance.

We can talk about it here all we want. Trumbo will be here for one season where he will be the DH for 95% of his plate appearances. He will leave without a qualifying offer. He'll be overpaid to do it, but if he can hit 25 homers and keep a respectable (.250 or above) average, he'll be just fine.

I would have liked to have signed a cheaper, more versatile player. In the long run, though, I don't think one season of Trumbo is a bad thing.

I like Trumbo. I think he has a better chance of being good than Alvarez. Besides you would have to sign Alvarez first then trade Trumbo. If you traded Trumbo, Borax would have a field day in negotiations. There is a reason Alvarez hasn't been signed and I think it has a lot to do with asking price. Nela Huntington said he made mistakes in bringing up Alvarez too quickly. That had more to do with maturity and over inflated sense of self than ability to produce. That said, I would pay up 7 million for Alvarez, keep Trumbo and let it all shake out.

My guess is Alvarez is waiting for SD to make an offer.

I don't think the Cards would platoon Trumbo. He would be the first baseman. I think he would beat out Matt Adams. As a first basement he would be worth 9m.

Why would Trumbo beat out Adams as the everyday 1B? They've put up an identical OPS+ in their careers (111), and Adams is the much better hitter against right-handed pitchers, which is what teams face most often. Adams is also three years younger and presumably has more upside. Again, why would the Cardinals pay $9 million and a prospect to acquire a guy who's not any better (and possibly worse) than a player they already have?

Why would Trumbo beat out Adams as the everyday 1B? They've put up an identical OPS+ in their careers (111), and Adams is the much better hitter against right-handed pitchers, which is what teams face most often. Adams is also three years younger and presumably has more upside. Again, why would the Cardinals pay $9 million and a prospect to acquire a guy who's not any better (and possibly worse) than a player they already have?

From what I've read, Moss is the starting 1B heading into spring training.

Archived