Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

I wonder if they'll be able to work out a restructure where he can earn the same salary if he's healthy via games started incentives. I suspect that if they're still interested in working out a deal, it is similar to the Sele situation where they think he'll be ok this year but down the road has a higher likelihood of breaking down.

Something like a $9MM base for three years, but $1MM bonuses for 25 and 30 GS in year 2, and $1MM bonuses for 15, 20, 25, 30 GS in year 3. If he hits the incentives it's the same 9/11/13 structure, but only a 3/29 guaranteed contract (counting the $2MM year 4 buyout). That also would make Gallardo feel like his guaranteed salary each year isn't going down over time if he gets hurt.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB needs to bring the Frank Thomas model of options back.

Multiple mutual options where if the player exercises the option it's for 50% or so of if the team exercises option. Can even have the disparity increase each year to make it less likely to be used but still an outside option for each side.

EX:

Year One -12Mill

Year Two - player 6M; team 12M

Year Three - player 6M; team 12M

Rosenthal just bashed the Orioles on High Heat. Basically said they are having buyers remorse and are trying to back out. Said they have a grievance on their hand. Then says the Orioles have done this before.

Good Article from Roch and all the times, the doctors were right.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/02/lets-get-physical-with-orioles.html

Rosenthal just bashed the Orioles on High Heat. Basically said they are having buyers remorse and are trying to back out. Said they have a grievance on their hand. Then says the Orioles have done this before.

Rosenthal definitely has anti-O's bias. When have the Orioles been wrong about a pitcher's health?

Why would the Orioles have buyers remorse? I think they are just sticklers for any kind of damage to players. I guess if you are paying out 35 million dollars to someone you want to make sure they are healthy. It really doesn't make sense for them to have buyers remorse when they have handed out all these big contracts.

I didn't see the piece, but if you think they are using this as a negotiation tactic, highly unethical. Not saying it is true, just stating.

Archived