2016 Spring Training Player Tracker and News

Tony-OH

3/12 News:

- The Orioles finally picked up their first win of the spring today, beating the Twins by a 10-1 score

- Ubaldo Jimenez made the start and allowed one run and four hits in 3 1/3 innings, with one walk and two strikeouts. Jimenez threw 30 pitches in the first inning (17 strikes). He finished with 61 pitches (39 strikes). (Roch-MASN)

- Matt Wieters left today's game with a sore right elbow. Buck gave an explanation in the post-game interview and doesn't believe it's a cause for concern. More of a precautionary measure than anything at this point. (Roch-MASN)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/12 Cuts:

The Orioles today announced that they have reassigned LHP CESAR CABRAL, C JONAH HEIM, INF TREY MANCINI, INF OZZIE MARTINEZ, LHP ANDY OLIVER, C CHANCE SISCO, and LHP ASHUR TOLLIVER to minor league camp. With these moves, the Orioles now have 51 players at Major League Spring Training, including 11 non-roster invitees

3/13 News:

- Orioles lost 14-4 to the Twins

- Pedro Alvarez made his Orioles debut today, starting at first base. He knocked in a run with a double in his first at bat as an Oriole and finished 1-for-3 on the day.

- RHP Andrew Triggs has been claimed off release waivers by the Oakland Athletics. Triggs was cut from the 40 man roster on Thursday to make room for Alvarez.

3/14 News:

- Matt Wieters had an MRI on his right elbow. Came back clean. No structural damage per Buck.

- Manny Machado hit a home run to left off his hands.

- Orioles optioned left-hander Chris Jones and reassigned right-hander Hunter Harvey .

- Jason Garcia was optioned to Bowie, he'll start there.

- Orioles defeat Phillies in late comeback, 8-7

- Orioles option OF Henry Urrutia to Triple-A Norfolk.

3/15 News:

- Orioles tied the Blue Jays today by a 6-6 score

- Chris Tillman made his spring debut today. Final line: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, K. Tillman stated in a post-game interview: "I actually felt pretty good about it," Tillman said. "I made a lot of pitches with what I wanted to do. I was satisfied with that. Try to progress from there. What I takeaway is I need to get better with my secondary stuff. My spin. My changeup was really good. Fastball was pretty good. Spin was a little bit behind. Mechanics-wise, I was right on where I need to be." (MASN)

- Tyler Wilson had another strong outing in relief of Tillman, pitching 3.1 scoreless innings, with 2 hits allowed, 0 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Buck made some very interesting comments about him in a post-game interview: "He pitches every pitch like it's the seventh game of the World Series and you like that." He also said, "There is some competition here that people haven't grasped." (MASN)

- Joey Rickard led off and started in CF. He finished 2-for-4 at the plate with a stolen base. He continues to make a solid case for the Orioles to carry the rule five draftee as their extra outfielder.

- Hyun-Soo Kim, meanwhile, continued his spring struggles today. He went 0-for-2 as the DH, with a pair of strikeout and a walk. He's batting just .097 this spring and both of his hits have only been infield singles.

- The rumors are true. The Orioles are indeed trying out Christian Walker in left field. He started there today and could play there on a part-time basis at AAA this year if he proves himself capable. The results were good today. No errors and he even picked up an outfield assist at third base. Adding "capable outfielder" to his resume would help his chances of sticking with the big club one day (or just sticking in the majors in general).

- Jonathan Schoop had a 2-for-3 day at the plate today. He leads Orioles projected regulars with a .414 (12-for-29) average this spring. Could he be primed for a big breakout in 2016? If he stays healthy, last year's production in 86 games along with his impressive early spring showing are promising indicators of a breakout.

3/22:

Kevin Gausman is likely to begin the season on the DL. He hopes to be ready by the first or second week of the season. The O's need a fifth starter by April 10, the sixth game of the season, so Worley, Wilson, Wright, and Despaigne are candidates to fill in if Gausman is unavailable.

Archived