Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's his MPH off the bat? Would that potentially tell us anything about a low BABIP? Is there anything that can negatively effect BABIP like that consistently?

babip has quite a few factors. Lefties usually have higher babip than righties. Fast guys have higher babip than slow guys. In terms of high babip it goes line drive, ground ball and then flyball and then as you said, quality of contact is another major factor.

o

I suspect that Duquette would lean heavily toward Dexter Fowler over Jay Bruce because:

JIM HUNTER:o You've got a hich-octane offense with sluggers like Davis, Trumbo, Jones, Machado, Wieters, etc. This team is offensively built to win NOW. Hence, is it a bad idea to go ahead and lose the picks because of this ???

DAN DUQUETTE:o I think it is important to have a team that can win every year, not just this year. We have a good defense, we have a good lineup, we have an excellent bullpen ...... the only area in which we could use more depth is at starting pitcher. Secondly, we could use more depth in the outfield AND we could use more OBP. We have been emphasizing that (the need for a higher team OBP) since last year. Joey Rickard (for example) can get on base at the highest levels of the minors AND he can play good defense, so he could help. Kim I have very high hopes for. He is left-handed, he gets on base, he walks more than he strikes out ....... OBP has been a major focus for us this offseason.

And also because:

JIM HUNTER:o Between starting pitcher and the need for a new outfielder ....... rank the importance of them

DAN DUQUETTE:o We're leaning towards adding to the the pitching as a priority. We got some sluggers (Machado, Jones, Schoop, Wieters, Hardy, etc.), so what we need is someone who can add to our overall OBP ...... because the power is there.

Dan is essentially saying that we have the power/sluggers already ...... we need guys with higher OBP's to increase the significance of that power (a 3-run home run is better than a 2-run home run, etc.)

Jay Bruce is a slugger ...... he hit 26 HR's last year, and he has averaged 30 HR's per 162 games for his career.

But Bruce's OBP for the last 2 seasons has been under .300 (.281 in 2014, and .294 in 2015.)

Fowler's OBP (both last year, and for his career) is considerably higher.

Here is the general tone on The Reds Zone, fan forum....

"Jomar Reyes is intriguing assuming he can play 3B. I would do a Reyes + Bundy/Harvey for Bruce deal."

"Two of Chance Sisco, Dylan Bundy, Hunter Harvey"

Ha, ha...you gotta love fans.

Yeah it makes me laugh when fans interchange Bundy and Harvey in trade proposals like they are anywhere equal in value.

Yeah it makes me laugh when fans interchange Bundy and Harvey in trade proposals like they are anywhere equal in value.

I'd say the value is pretty much all over the place for both of them. Could make a case for either being held in higher regard, no?

I'd say the value is pretty much all over the place for both of them. Could make a case for either being held in higher regard, no?

Absolutely. Dylan, in particular, had such high expectations. Maybe higher than any Orioles draft pick ever (even Matt). I am just praying for both of these fine youngsters that they can stay healthy going forward and fulfill whatever their levels turn out to be.

Bruce is nothing more than a negotiating ploy and backup plan at this point to Fowler. I'd rather give up the pick and get the better player in Fowler than have to trade known commodity prospects for Bruce. Plan A should be Fowler. Plan B should be P.Alvarez, and we'll have to play Davis in RF for a year. Plan C should be trading for Bruce. We have enough #5-7 type hitters on this team.

Bruce is nothing more than a negotiating ploy and backup plan at this point to Fowler. I'd rather give up the pick and get the better player in Fowler than have to trade known commodity prospects for Bruce. Plan A should be Fowler. Plan B should be P.Alvarez, and we'll have to play Davis in RF for a year. Plan C should be trading for Bruce. We have enough #5-7 type hitters on this team.

It's all about establishing the BATNA (best alternative to negotiated agreement) to get leverage. He doesn't have 8 teams lined up, so having alternatives makes our position stronger.

Remember the days when we were going to trade Bedard and we were debating which package was the best. For the Reds we wanted Jay Bruce but they wouldn't include them. Of course in hindsight we should have accepted Votto as the headliner. Still, Adam Jones and Tillman from the M's wasn't a bad consolation prize.

Heard on MLB Sirius/XM that the Reds turned down Zack Wheeler for Bruce back in July.

And then he tanked.

Wow.

The Reds REALLY saved the Mets from themselves on that one.

In addition to Bruce tanking badly over the final 2 months of the season (which completed his 2nd consecutive season of having an OBP under .300), the highly touted Wheeler will presumably be back from Tommy John surgery this year to join the Big Three (Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard) and Bartolo Colon in their starting rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just debating with a friend ... Dexter for 3 years $35 million + losing a pick or should we have signed Nick to the 4 years $44 million deal

Nick's splits:

.291 (AVG) .359 (OBP) 14.4 (HR/162 games)) 71.1 (RBIs) 62.3 (BB) 85.7 (SO) 6.3 (SB) 2.6(CS)

Dexter's splits:

.267 (AVG) .363 (OBP) 8.1 (HR) 36.4 (RBI) 59.4 (BB) 106.3 (SO) 14.3 (SB) 6.6 (CS)

I'm starting to agree with my buddy after looking at Nick's stats that we should have resigned him last year. Cost us a pick, 2-3 wins last year, money is a wash since the 's saved last year.

Archived