Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Jay Bruce, Austin Jackson Or Pedro Alvarez

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a thought, lets sign Alverez, Trade Trumbo with one of our numerous outfielders to the A's for JJ Redick. The A's could really use the power. We add 2 left handed bats to balance our lineup and I think Redick is known to be a solid outfielders.

I'm actually not that great at making trade suggestions like some but right now I would prefer Alverez over Trumbo for our lineup. It would be nice to then trade Trumbo and Player X somewhere to fill out RF issue.

JJ Redick plays basketball last I checked. Also, The A's would have no interest in taking on Trumbo's salary and he doesn't have enough value to come close to getting back Josh Reddick, who I assume is your actual target.

People are forgetting Trumbo was only worth a portion of Steve Clevenger.

If all we can count on from Jackson is defense then why not stay in house with Rickard or Hoes. Both are good defenders and have decent OBP in the MiL.

I agree with this.

And Rickard has an outstanding OBP at the highest levels of the minors.

I wanted Fowler, but being that we are not getting him, we may as well be glad that we at least saved the money, saved the draft pick, and roll with what we have.

You might want to check Jackson's stats again. Last year his OPS was just under .700 at .696, 2014 it was .655 but in 100 games with Detroit it was .730 prior to getting moved to Seattle.

In 2012 and 2013, Jackson's OPS was .856 and .754, respectively.

I think Jackson could be primed for a bounceback, especially getting out of an offensive graveyard like Safeco.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksau01.shtml

Yes, Jackson OPS'd .730 with Detroit, but to ignore his numbers after moving to Seattle would be like ignoring what Parra did here when he bottomed out after being traded. Jackson was under .600 in Seattle for a full third of the season. I still did count BB-Ref's lines instead of years, so it's only back-to-back sub.700 seasons. Nonetheless, I think the baseball wisdom is not to bet on guys who rely on speed to get better with age.

That's not a bad way to look at it. Though I'd choose Jackson because you don't have to give anybody up and you can play him in center if Jones misses extended time like he did last season. Plus there should be around 5-6M in salary difference that could be used for a mid season acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the money is an issue the way we've been spending this winter. And Jackson's defense is eroding. We have Rickard to cover CF. He may prove better than Jackson anyway.I think people are seizing on one good year with Detroit and ignoring 6 straight good seasons from Bruce.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksau01.shtml

Yes, Jackson OPS'd .730 with Detroit, but to ignore his numbers after moving to Seattle would be like ignoring what Parra did here when he bottomed out after being traded. Jackson was under .600 in Seattle for a full third of the season. I still did count BB-Ref's lines instead of years, so it's only back-to-back sub.700 seasons. Nonetheless, I think the baseball wisdom is not to bet on guys who rely on speed to get better with age.

I'm not ignoring Seattle but it's also been a park that has negatively impacted offense.

Plus, we're not talking about Jackson on a multi year deal so who cares how he ages? We could use help in the OF for 2016 and Jackson is the best of what's left. Especially when you consider the cost; not just salary but years and no talent given up.

I'm not ignoring Seattle but it's also been a park that has negatively impacted offense.

Plus, we're not talking about Jackson on a multi year deal so who cares how he ages? We could use help in the OF for 2016 and Jackson is the best of what's left. Especially when you consider the cost; not just salary but years and no talent given up.

Nelson Cruz seemed to do just fine there.

I really don't know how much you think it's going to cost in prospects. One ESPN article about the deal to the Blue Jays that unraveled noted the Reds to receive a second-tier prospect from each the Angels and the Blue Jays.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/blue-jays-could-trade-for-jay-bruce.html

A link to Jeff Passan within this MLBTR post say they may be open to taking anything just to unload the contract. I don't know how many clubs still have $12.5M in their budget at this point in the offseason. Most that do have that in their budget are holding it until the deadline.

What would it really take to get him if they absorbed the entirety of the contract? Does it even taken a Steve Clevenger level player like it did for Trumbo? If that's the asking price, I don't consider it giving up too much.

It would be great to get two of the three-- Jackson and either Bruce or Alvarez.

The added depth would be insurance against a lot of possibilities...disappointing rookie year by Kim, down season by whomever, injury to whomever. Plus, easier to get days off for Jones and Davis.

I really don't know how much you think it's going to cost in prospects. One ESPN article about the deal to the Blue Jays that unraveled noted the Reds to receive a second-tier prospect from each the Angels and the Blue Jays.

A link to Jeff Passan within this MLBTR post say they may be open to taking anything just to unload the contract. I don't know how many clubs still have $12.5M in their budget at this point in the offseason. Most that do have that in their budget are holding it until the deadline.

What would it really take to get him if they absorbed the entirety of the contract? Does it even taken a Steve Clevenger level player like it did for Trumbo? If that's the asking price, I don't consider it giving up too much.

When the price is either $$ or $$ and a player, I'd always take just money.

For me, Jay Bruce is too much like the rest of our lineup. At least Jackson provides the possibility of a slightly different element.

That said, both Jackson and Bruce have struggled recently, although Bruce was good through July last year and then fell off the map.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If Rickard bombs, then Austin Jackson. We need OBP guys and not guys like Pedro Alvarez who make Chris Davis' signing redundant.

Really?

Here are the facts .... OBP over the last 2 seasons Jackson .308 & .311 / Alvarez .312 & .318.

So they are basically the same player in that regard.

Now you could argue fielding with Jackson as an OF as opposed to Alvarez being a DH ...back up 3B/1B weak glove

And you could argue speed ...Last two years Jackson SB 37 / CS 16 = 57% (do you really want him stealing with that rate?)/ Alvarez 10/3 (doesnt go often and is slow but you gotta like the 70%) and at very least he's not making outs on the bases.

Are you sure that is how it works? I think it is total runs and both Alvarez and Bruce closely approximate maximum Fowler on that.

I would sacrifice a few fewer runs created overall for a guy who can diversify our offense. I want guys capable of beating the other team in multiple ways. For example, if we are matched up against a pitcher who is "effectively wild," our high K/high HR guys may never get a pitch to hit and I would like a guy who can draw a walk in the lineup.

I don't think the money is an issue the way we've been spending this winter. And Jackson's defense is eroding. We have Rickard to cover CF. He may prove better than Jackson anyway.I think people are seizing on one good year with Detroit and ignoring 6 straight good seasons from Bruce.

Do you mean Alvarez? Bruce's last two years have been pretty bad. .729 and .654 OPS. .281 and .294 OBP. I would not want to spend the money or the player on him.I don't really like Bruce at all. I think DD just threw out his name as a smokescreen during the Fowler negotiations. I don't really get why we are talking about him. $25M for two years, probably costs a prospect, below replacement defense, and can't even really hit any more.

Close call between Alvarez and Jackson, but I would give Jackson the edge for diversifying the offense and being able to play defense.

Walker should do it and they are rumored to be looking for a backup 1B or corner OF.

Archived