The Spring Training Overreaction Thread

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOLO not fearful...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo said this is best he's felt all spring. Says always bad numbers in spring training. Not worried. Etc <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YOLO not fearful...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo said this is best he's felt all spring. Says always bad numbers in spring training. Not worried. Etc <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Why isn't his nickname Yoga?

8-4-2 over their last 14 games, for a .667 winning percentage.

They're unstoppable, like a runaway freight train that keeps gaining momentum.

Yes - I feel it too! Give Yo another start to "work on things" and we should be set. If Gausman is DL'd, we have big Mike Wright! (AKA the Wright Stuff)

The St. Louis Cardinals, on the other hand, are 1-8-3 in their last 12 Spring Training games.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-notes-cardinals-not-concerned-about-bad-day/article_eb913fcd-dbdc-5f04-9008-f845033e7f38.html

These two teams are clearly headed in opposite directions ...... the Orioles up, the Cardinals down.

The St. Louis Cardinals, on the other hand, are 1-8-3 in their last 12 Spring Training games.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-notes-cardinals-not-concerned-about-bad-day/article_eb913fcd-dbdc-5f04-9008-f845033e7f38.html

These two teams are clearly headed in opposite directions ...... the Orioles up, the Cardinals down.

So much for having a stocked farm system, great talent evaluators and developers. It looks like DD has been right all along! :scratchchinhmm:

The Orioles' winning percentage over their last 1 Spring Training game is 1.000.

The Orioles' team ERA over their last 1 Spring Training Game is 1.00.

The Orioles' offense is averaging 8 runs per game over their last 1 Spring Training game ...... that's an average of 1 run per inning.

The Orioles are 2-1 over their last 3 Spring Training games.

Hence, they will probably go 108-54 when the real games count.

p-574722-2-patch-pack-2010-baltimore-orioles-40th-anniversary-as-1970-world-series-hfbjp-0171-twinpack.jpg

The Orioles are 3-1-1 over their last 5 Spring Training Games.

That computes to a record of 121-41 or 122-40 over the course of a 162-game schedule.

That would best the 1954 Cleveland Indians for the best regular season winning percentage ever by an American League team (111-43, .721).

The Orioles lost today.

They're 0-1 in their last 1 Spring Training game, for a winning percentage of .000.

If they keep that pace up when the regular season starts, they will wind up supplanting the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics for the worst winning percentage in Major League Baseball history since 1901.

That Athletics team went 36-117, for a .235 winning percentage.

Just when I think that I have this team figured out, they do a 180-degree turn.

A few hours ago, they had a .000 winning percentage today, and I was convinced that they would be one of the all-time worst teams in MLB history when the real games started.

With tonight's win over the Twins, that makes them 4-2-1 over their last 7 Spring Training games, for a .667 winning percentage.

The turn of events that this team has gone through lately is nothing short of amazing.

5-2-1 over their last 8 Spring Training games, now.

A .714 winning percentage in that span.

Last night's 11-2 trouncing of the Yankees is indicative of that .714 winning percentage.

This team cannot be stopped. That's indisputable.

5-2-2 over their last 9 Spring Training games, now. Amazing winning percentage (.714).

Chris Tillman ceded 3 runs in 4 innings today. Based on that, I expect him to have an ERA of 6.75 for the season come early October.

Brian Matusz had a very good game today, therefore I know for a fact that he will pitch really well when the games count.

The offense scored 8 runs today, therefore I presume that they will average about 8 runs per games over the course of the entire 2016 season, which computes to an all-time Major League record of 1,296 runs.

Devastating loss today, which completely changes my perspective and my expectations of this team.

In a single game, they dropped from a .667 winning percentage (5-2-2) in their last 9 games to a .625 winning percentage (5-3-2) in the last 10 games.

That's a 42-point plummet. Talk about sinking quickly.

Oh yeah ...... Odrisamer Despaigne needs to be sent all the way down to AA-Bowie immediately, maybe even down to Advanced-A Frederick. He has no business being anywhere near the Orioles' 40-man roster, let alone their 25-man roster that will head north for the real games in less than 2 weeks.

Another loss.

That makes them 5-4-2 over their last 11 games.

Over the course of 2 games, they went from playing .667 ball over 9 games, to playing .625 ball over 10 games, to playing .555 ball over 11 games.

That's a 112-point drop in 2 days.

They're done. May as well start looking forward to the 2017 season.

Amazing.

This team is nothing short of amazing.

In a single game, they went from playing .555 ball (5-4-2) in their last 11 games to playing .600 ball (6-4-2) in their last 12.

Joey Rickard will unquestionable lead the American League in batting.

Tyler Wilson will not only make the starting rotation, but he will wind up with an ERA of 3.00 or better.

J.J. Hardy's home run today indicates that he has regained his previously-lost power. He will hit 25 or more home runs this season.

Unfortunately, Darren O'Day has no place on this team of stars. Giving up 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning today was probably the nail in his coffin. He will (and should be) cut loose, and Angelos and Duquette will have to eat the 4 years that are remaining on his contract.

But overall, they're great ...... these guys are great.

This team is the best.

7-4-2 over their last 13 games, for a .636 winning percentage.

When the game was tied after the completion of the 9th inning, Showalter looked over to Girardi in the other dugout with a look that was as serious as the Wild West ...... "We're going to keep playing until somebody wins" was the look that he gave him. He pointed his finger in the air, indicating that this thing wasn't over.

At that point, Girardi was shaking in his cleats ...... he was directly being called out by Showalter, and he had no choice but to agree to play an extra inning to break the tie, for fear of looking like a coward if he didn't. He knew in his heart that his team didn't stand a chance at that point, but he had no choice but to accept what would likely wind up being an emotionally devastating Spring Training loss.

I don't think that the Yankees will recover from this. They may as well mail in the 2016 season, gut the team, and start over in 2017.

9-4-2 over their last 15 games, for a .692 winning percentage.

They were losing today's game the entire way, from the 1st inning through the 8th ...... but then, their true character pushed forth, and they tied it with a run in the 8th, and took the lead with 2 more runs in the 9th.

The reliable Oliver Drake closed the door on the befuddled Pirates in the bottom half of the inning.

I know that being hopeful and optimistic is a sign of a weak and troubled mind. I'm trying to fix that with intensive therapy and drugs.

I don't have a problem understanding about being hopeful and optimistic. I just wish I understood what you're hopeful and optimistic about other than the standard "It's spring, everyone has the same record and there's a long season ahead." Which can be said about everyone.

The O's starters now have a 9.20 ERA for the Spring, last in MLB.

Tillman, 9.31 ERA in 3 starts...Ubaldo, 12.27 ERA in 4 starts...Gonzo, 12.56 ERA in 5 starts...Yovani, 16.88 ERA in 3 starts.

If our starters can just give us 3 innings and 3 or 4 runs, our bullpen can hold the fort and let our offense come back. We'll need to have 2-3 optionable pieces in the bullpen so that they can shuttle between pitching every day in Baltimore and resting in Norfolk.

Archived