Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

Yes, there are other models out there besides the Royals. The problem is we don't have the Astros' starting pitching, which even include an ace.

Certainly agree. Hope we can make up for some of that with our bullpen, but who knows. Lotta souvenirs on Eutaw Street, if nothing else.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think this team would have looked better with Pearce in RF, Kim/Reimold platoon in LF, with Alvarez as the DH. You would save 4M, have better defense in RF, with Rickard as your 5th outfielder.

You many need that 4M later to bolster the starting pitching. Trumbo, in my estimation, is the most questionable acquisition of the offseason. If he plays an AVERAGE outfield, he'll be fine. I don't know if he's capable of that, though.

Trumbo certainly doesn't make a ton of sense right now, but in fairness, when no one believed we'd pay to resign Chris Davis, he was a reasonably priced one-year bridge option at 1B.

No need to exaggerate. Per wildcard, it's $151 mm with 13.65 mm deferred ($137.3m after deferrals).

Thanks for the clarification -- I'm on vacation with my family and don't have Cots Contracts on the standby.

I think this plan makes total sense at $137.3 MM. Well thought out.

The Orioles went to the playoffs with Nelson Cruz and Injured Nick Markakis as outfielders.

"Injured" Nick Markakis played 155 games and won a Gold Glove in RF in 2014. I realize Gold Gloves aren't the best indication of fielding prowess, but Nick played errorless baseball with 11 assists. I do not expect Trumbo to play RF as well as Markakis did.

Thanks for the clarification -- I'm on vacation with my family and don't have Cots Contracts on the standby.

I think this plan makes total sense at $137.3 MM. Well thought out.

I see that your sense of humor is not on vacation.

I see that your sense of humor is not on vacation.

Haha. Nope. Stuck in the room waiting for a conference call while family is out having fun this morning. Might say I'm a bit unreasonable and temperamental...

They've never been efficient spenders under Angelos.

I agree but I think we (OH poster) are also paper tigers. We are not on the inside and cannot always have the moves we think we should.

There are more variables than money and years to getting the team on paper we think we need.

I think there are HUGE organizational flaws as currently constructed that will never allow us the teams you and others think we should.

I'm going to be content with what we have that is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than what we had for that dismal 15 year stretch.

It's a good fit for Alvarez, at least. Very hitter-friendly park (a hitter-friendly division, really), lot of bats around him, so he should get pitches to hit... Great place to spend a year and try to play himself into a multi-year contract next offseason.

Some of those balls he hit in Pittsburgh in that video were wild. Big time power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To follow-up on my original post, I realize that Janish is on a minor league deal and can easily be sent to the minors, but before signing Pedro, I really wasn't sure of a better option to get that fourth bench spot. I guess a case could have been made for a guy like Urrutia or Hoes to join Rickard as the fourth and fifth OFs, respectively.

I still think this team would have looked better with Pearce in RF, Kim/Reimold platoon in LF, with Alvarez as the DH. You would save 4M, have better defense in RF, with Rickard as your 5th outfielder.

You many need that 4M later to bolster the starting pitching. Trumbo, in my estimation, is the most questionable acquisition of the offseason. If he plays an AVERAGE outfield, he'll be fine. I don't know if he's capable of that, though.

It's easy to look back in the offsets on and cherry 0ick deals to make a better team. The truth though is that timing plays a big part in all of this. Potential contract change a lot based on when they are signed and what else is available when they are signed.

Archived