Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had this argument in a thread awhile back.

There is reason to believe Trumbo is a capable RF'er. Capable does not equal MLB average, but he can play there.

There is also a very small sample size for Trumbo as a corner outfielder meaning no manager has been comfortable playing him regularly. He could really be bad in a full season, we do not know.

I think we see a corner outfield/DH platoon all season long. Trumbo, Kim, Pedro, Dariel, and Rickard.

I think he is better than Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young and similar to Nick Markakis.

Prove this.

Metrics and his playing time there strongly disagree with you.

I am not going to attempt to prove it with fielding metrics. I am not sure that there are enough stats to keep it from being an aberration anyway. regarding playing time? The team he played on had right fielders. He's got a good arm and it is a small outfield position in OPACY.

I am not going to attempt to prove it with fielding metrics. I am not sure that there are enough stats to keep it from being an aberration anyway. regarding playing time? The team he played on had right fielders. He's got a good arm and it is a small outfield position in OPACY.

So you are basing this opinion on what then, exactly?

What he wants to be true.

What scouts in MLB have said about him. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/3/27/8298555/mark-trumbo-diamondbacks-right-field-glove-side-fielding

Stewart said he talked to Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia, who used to manage Trumbo in L.A., and Scioscia said right was a much better fit for Trumbo than left. Trumbo seems to agree, saying that the way the ball cuts off the bat is easier for him in right, when it tails toward his glove side.

"Being right-handed, I feel right field, especially with some of those balls coming in, it's much easier for me with that angle as opposed to the one in left," Trumbo said.

So you are basing this opinion on what then, exactly?
A scout from outside the organization has watched Trumbo play the outfield in the majors and Venezuela. He offers a more favorable scouting report than others presented to me.

"I know him, and he happens to be a really, really good athlete," the scout said. "I would make sort of an analogy with (Steve) Pearce. I saw Pearce come up at the same age in Pittsburgh's organization and I saw Trumbo. Trumbo's a better athlete, a better hitter and better power than Pearce.

"In my mind, he'll be a 50 in outfield. That's average. Fifty-five is solid average. He's not going to hurt you out there. He's athletic in the outfield. He'll be fine. He's got a good arm, he's a good athlete, he's a good fielder.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/02/talking-more-about-trumbo-in-right-field.html

How many years ago did he see him?

and who is the scout? Why are the overwhelming majority of reports of his defense negative? Why should anyone trust this guy over the metrics and general consensus? Why hasn't he played the outfield a ton if he's average out there?

Why was he a ~1 win player despite a 108 wRC+ last year if he's an average defender?

Those giving some version of "if we were going to sign Alvarez then we shouldn't have signed CD, signed upton, etc." are failing to give credence to the idea that free agency and the offseason is a dynamic situation. One cannot just go to the free agent store and say I'll take one of these, one of those, and one of them at your menu prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learn how to:

1. Tender contracts to ALL of your arb eligible players, even the very expensive LOOGY who can only be used in low leverage games

2. Make a splash signing a DH to 3.5 x the going rate

3. Don't forget to waste 7 million on a KBO player

4. Sign your own guys, even when no one is bidding for them and pay top dollar to make the players understand that you want to win

5. Most important learn to have supreme patience to wait out the market and sign those March free agents ... that I guess no one else in baseball wanted

Those giving some version of "if we were going to sign Alvarez then we shouldn't have signed CD, signed upton, etc." are failing to give credence to the idea that free agency and the offseason is a dynamic situation. One cannot just go to the free agent store and say I'll take one of these, one of those, and one of them at your menu prices.

There are a few that think you just sign them anyway, even if they do not want to play in Baltimore. They even think that the whole idea of having an extensive "Physical" works against the Orioles and they should sign these injured players , not for less, but for even more money and forget they took the physical. Points to you sir. well said.

How about "It is an inefficient use of resources to sign Alvarez when you already have Trumbo and Davis under contract."?

Archived